Jan 7, 2014, 9:31 PM EDT
You’ve got to love J.R. Smith, at least to a certain extent.
During Sunday’s win over the Mavericks, Smith untied Shawn Marion‘s shoe while the two were lining up to rebound a free throw attempt. Multiple reports, including this one from Marc Berman of the New York Post, say that the league issued a warning to Smith in lieu of a fine or any further disciplinary action.
A simple slap on the wrist isn’t enough to deter Smith, however. As fans called for him to try the prank again, he at least pretended to early in Tuesday’s contest against the Pistons before ultimately being foiled by Greg Monroe.
Knicks head coach Mike Woodson told reporters before the game that Smith “shouldn’t be doing stuff like that.” Technically, he’s stopped. But Smith is clearly aware of the buzz surrounding his actions.
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 22
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 62
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 71
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 42
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8