Jan 7, 2014, 9:31 PM EDT
You’ve got to love J.R. Smith, at least to a certain extent.
During Sunday’s win over the Mavericks, Smith untied Shawn Marion‘s shoe while the two were lining up to rebound a free throw attempt. Multiple reports, including this one from Marc Berman of the New York Post, say that the league issued a warning to Smith in lieu of a fine or any further disciplinary action.
A simple slap on the wrist isn’t enough to deter Smith, however. As fans called for him to try the prank again, he at least pretended to early in Tuesday’s contest against the Pistons before ultimately being foiled by Greg Monroe.
Knicks head coach Mike Woodson told reporters before the game that Smith “shouldn’t be doing stuff like that.” Technically, he’s stopped. But Smith is clearly aware of the buzz surrounding his actions.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 14
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 48
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17