Jan 7, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT
Now it’s official, it has been announced by the teams. Here is who gets what:
Memphis Grizzlies: Lee plus a 2016 second round pick from Boston.
Boston Celtics: Bayless and Gomes (they are expected to waive Gomes before the end of Tuesday).
Oklahoma City Thunder: A conditional second round pick from Memphis in 2017.
Of course, the real question is why does this work for everyone.
For the Celtics, they save money in future years of Lee’s contract (he is owed $11 million for two seasons after this one) plus some this season on Gomes’s deal. They also get a ball handling guard who can create shots and may be a better fit for them while Rajon Rondo remains out. But really this was a talent downgrade and move to save money and gain flexibility, they aren’t trying to get better right now and win the division.
For the Grizzlies Lee is a good fit with what they need — shooting plus solid defense. He is knocking down 44 percent of his attempts from three this season on Memphis desperately needs shooting (especially with Quincy Pondexter lost for the season).
For Oklahoma City, the free up some money and a roster spot losing Gomes, likely in preparation for another move.
- Report: DeAndre Jordan “on verge ” of taking max deal to join Dallas Mavericks 10
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 10
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 7
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 4
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 22
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 10
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 54
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0