Jan 7, 2014, 12:39 PM EST
Now it’s official, it has been announced by the teams. Here is who gets what:
Memphis Grizzlies: Lee plus a 2016 second round pick from Boston.
Boston Celtics: Bayless and Gomes (they are expected to waive Gomes before the end of Tuesday).
Oklahoma City Thunder: A conditional second round pick from Memphis in 2017.
Of course, the real question is why does this work for everyone.
For the Celtics, they save money in future years of Lee’s contract (he is owed $11 million for two seasons after this one) plus some this season on Gomes’s deal. They also get a ball handling guard who can create shots and may be a better fit for them while Rajon Rondo remains out. But really this was a talent downgrade and move to save money and gain flexibility, they aren’t trying to get better right now and win the division.
For the Grizzlies Lee is a good fit with what they need — shooting plus solid defense. He is knocking down 44 percent of his attempts from three this season on Memphis desperately needs shooting (especially with Quincy Pondexter lost for the season).
For Oklahoma City, the free up some money and a roster spot losing Gomes, likely in preparation for another move.
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 0
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 6
- Report: Rondo “open” to re-signing in Dallas, Houston if traded there 14
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 17
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 4
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 23
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 13
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 19