Jan 7, 2014, 2:42 PM EDT
Brooklyn has won three in a row and picked up a nice win over Atlanta Monday night in a battle of “which team sucks less with its best player out?”
However now it looks like the Nets are going to have to get by without Deron Williams at the point a little longer — and against a brutal stretch of games this week.
Williams is wearing a walking boot due to his latest ankle sprain and is officially out for the Nets game Wednesday against the Warriors, the team announced. But read below what he had done with said sprained ankle (from the official release) and you realize he may not be back for games Friday against the Heat and Saturday in division-leading Toronto.
“Following an MRI on Monday, January 6, Brooklyn Nets guard Deron Williams was diagnosed with a sprained left ankle. Williams was treated with a cortisone shot in the ankle joint, as well as platelet rich plasma (PRP) injections into the lateral ligaments of the ankle. In addition, Williams received a PRP injection into his right ankle and a cortisone injection into his right ankle joint to relieve inflammation.”
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $90,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $10,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Because the East is so putrid you can’t count the Nets out of the playoffs, they are 13-21 but that is good enough for the nine seed and being one game out of the postseason mix.
However if they are going to make a little push to get in the playoffs without Brook Lopez (lost for the season following foot surgery) they will need a healthy D-Will running the show. Better to sacrifice a few games now (ones they likely lose anyway) to get him right long term.
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 0
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 31
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 24
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 31
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61