Jan 7, 2014, 4:23 PM EDT
Today was essentially cut-down day in the NBA. Any player on the roster come Jan. 10 has his contract guaranteed for the full season (even if he is let go), and as it takes 48 hours to clear waivers players have to be let go of Tuesday (5 ET) to make that deadline.
There were expected names at the top of the list of who got waived and cut loose on Tuesday, but here is a list of all the players waived at the last minute.
• In a surprise to nobody, the Chicago Bulls waived Andrew Bynum. This is why they traded Luol Deng to Cleveland, for the rights to get Bynum and cut him loose, ultimately saving the team $15 million in salary and taxes and getting them under the tax-line threshold. Certainly the Bulls become worse on the court with this move, Tom Thibodeau can’t be happy, but with Derrick Rose out and with it any real hopes of contending this was the smart move by Chicago.
• The Los Angeles Clippers waived veteran Stephen Jackson. This also was somewhat expected — with Chris Paul out for another month or more the Clippers need to carve out roster space for guys that can help them create shots. That’s not Jackson anymore. The Clippers are going to bring back Maalik Wayns on a 10-day contract for now in that roster slot.
• The Los Angeles Lakers waived forward Shawne Williams. Early in the season he looked like one of those guys who could come out of nowhere and thrive in Mike D’Antoni’s system, even started 11 games and put up 20 points against the Pistons. However, he still was averaging just 5.2 points a game on 37.7 percent shooting, he wasn’t an integral part of the team and the Lakers want to give his minutes to rookie Ryan Kelly to see if he can develop as a stretch four (he has shown some promise).
• Also as expected out of the Bynum trade, the Boston Celtics have waived Ryan Gomes. He was traded to them from Oklahoma City as the Thunder are looking to clear a roster spot for a bigger move and the Celtics wanted to save a little green, so to speak.
• Utah waived Mike Harris, a forward who had played a limited role for them getting in just 20 games. Utah has young front line guys it wants to play big minutes, which make Harris expendable.
• The Philadelphia 76ers have waived big man Daniel Orton, who had played in 22 games for the team this year. It will be interesting to see if another NBA team will give the former Kentucky big man another chance.
• Atlanta cut loose reserve guard Cartier Martin, a player that has lived on the fringe of the NBA for years.
Sep 3, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT(Edit)
This is a long shot. At best.
Sep 2, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT(Edit)
Raduljica deserves another NBA contract following adequate rookie year
Sep 2, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT(Edit)
Mavericks hold draft rights to Finnish point guard who’s under contract with Russian team
Sep 2, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT(Edit)
Derrick Rose, James Harden and Kenneth Faried appeared stunned by traditional pregame dance
Sep 2, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT(Edit)
He will miss most and maybe all of training camp.
Sep 2, 2014, 4:13 PM EDT(Edit)
When big men run the floor hard, good things happen.
Sep 2, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT(Edit)
Ingles off to hot start in World Cup
Sep 2, 2014, 2:43 PM EDT(Edit)
I mean, there’s always a chance.
Sep 2, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT(Edit)
Team USA was supposed to be a perimeter-based team, but through three games the bigs are stealing the show.
Sep 2, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT(Edit)
Greek Freak in action.
Sep 2, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT(Edit)
Curry fired back on Twitter to someone who made a joke at the expense of his shoes.
Sep 2, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT(Edit)
Erik Spoelstra is changing things up a bit.
Sep 2, 2014, 11:18 AM EDT(Edit)
Rose was originally penciled in as the starter, but Kyrie Irving has been more deserving thus far.
Sep 2, 2014, 9:59 AM EDT(Edit)
Cleveland, now with championship aspirations, may not feel the same way.
Sep 2, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT(Edit)
Mozgov could play with LeBron James, for David Blatt (his Russian national team coach)
- Report: Tracy McGrady works out with Kobe, eyes return to NBA 0
- Report: Washington Wizards contact Ray Allen, too 4
- Hornets rookie Noah Vonleh out 6-8 weeks after sports hernia surgery 14
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 9
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 11
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 5
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14