Jan 7, 2014, 4:23 PM EST
Today was essentially cut-down day in the NBA. Any player on the roster come Jan. 10 has his contract guaranteed for the full season (even if he is let go), and as it takes 48 hours to clear waivers players have to be let go of Tuesday (5 ET) to make that deadline.
There were expected names at the top of the list of who got waived and cut loose on Tuesday, but here is a list of all the players waived at the last minute.
• In a surprise to nobody, the Chicago Bulls waived Andrew Bynum. This is why they traded Luol Deng to Cleveland, for the rights to get Bynum and cut him loose, ultimately saving the team $15 million in salary and taxes and getting them under the tax-line threshold. Certainly the Bulls become worse on the court with this move, Tom Thibodeau can’t be happy, but with Derrick Rose out and with it any real hopes of contending this was the smart move by Chicago.
• The Los Angeles Clippers waived veteran Stephen Jackson. This also was somewhat expected — with Chris Paul out for another month or more the Clippers need to carve out roster space for guys that can help them create shots. That’s not Jackson anymore. The Clippers are going to bring back Maalik Wayns on a 10-day contract for now in that roster slot.
• The Los Angeles Lakers waived forward Shawne Williams. Early in the season he looked like one of those guys who could come out of nowhere and thrive in Mike D’Antoni’s system, even started 11 games and put up 20 points against the Pistons. However, he still was averaging just 5.2 points a game on 37.7 percent shooting, he wasn’t an integral part of the team and the Lakers want to give his minutes to rookie Ryan Kelly to see if he can develop as a stretch four (he has shown some promise).
• Also as expected out of the Bynum trade, the Boston Celtics have waived Ryan Gomes. He was traded to them from Oklahoma City as the Thunder are looking to clear a roster spot for a bigger move and the Celtics wanted to save a little green, so to speak.
• Utah waived Mike Harris, a forward who had played a limited role for them getting in just 20 games. Utah has young front line guys it wants to play big minutes, which make Harris expendable.
• The Philadelphia 76ers have waived big man Daniel Orton, who had played in 22 games for the team this year. It will be interesting to see if another NBA team will give the former Kentucky big man another chance.
• Atlanta cut loose reserve guard Cartier Martin, a player that has lived on the fringe of the NBA for years.
Dec 24, 2014, 9:00 PM EST
Colorways inspired by shoes Michael Jordan wore during his best Christmas Day performance.
Spurs and Thunder, who’ve been best in the West lately, both fighting for position entering Christmas matchup
Dec 24, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Injuries to Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and Kawhi Leonard have put both teams behind the eight ball
Dec 24, 2014, 6:06 PM EST
An additional confirmation that no Deron Williams deal gets done on Sacramento’s side unless they can also get the talented young big man as part of the package.
Dec 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
Young says Lakers played liked ‘Django Unchained’ without Kobe Bryant
Dec 24, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
Boston has Brandan Wright, large trade exception
Dec 24, 2014, 3:00 PM EST
The NBA has given us some good presents to open for Christmas.
Dec 24, 2014, 2:15 PM EST
McHale earned this.
Dec 24, 2014, 1:24 PM EST
This is a low risk pickup by the Rockets at a good price.
Dec 24, 2014, 12:58 PM EST
A minor move, but one that should benefit both teams.
Dec 24, 2014, 12:36 PM EST
Expect more Tristan Thompson in the short term, a trade for Cleveland to land a big in the longer term.
Dec 24, 2014, 11:45 AM EST
Miami fans will boo a little, but this isn’t Cleveland.
Dec 24, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
Lakers can use Steve Nash’s disabled-player exception to sign free agents
Dec 24, 2014, 10:00 AM EST
Orlando’s fourth-year players have All-Star cases. Yes, really.
Kendall Marshall turns back to play, runs like an airplane to celebrate… Jared Dudley’s missed 3-pointer (video)
Dec 24, 2014, 9:45 AM EST
Bucks don’t come back, fall to Hornets
Dec 24, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
Wizards center gets big slam, but Bulls win
How much did Damian Lillard’s game tying shot Tuesday look like series winner vs. Rockets? A lot. (VIDEO)
Dec 24, 2014, 8:30 AM EST
Same play, same spot, same result.
Dec 24, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Lakers star says he trusts Lakers management
Dec 24, 2014, 2:15 AM EST
The Lakers pick up a win without Kobe Bryant around.
Dec 24, 2014, 1:25 AM EST
Just Vlade being Vlade.
Dec 24, 2014, 1:25 AM EST
He’s struggled some this season but Varejao has a skill set that is hard
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 12
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 28
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 21
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6
- PBT Tuesday Night Winners/Losers: Sixers, Lakers show the last will be first (for a night) 13
- Anderson Varejao leaves Cavaliers game with foot injury not to return, MRI Wednesday 5
- Report: Rockets ‘very confident’ they’ll land Josh Smith 19
- Report: Sixers want Andrei Kirilenko to report to team, prepare to play 16