Jan 7, 2014, 4:23 PM EDT
Today was essentially cut-down day in the NBA. Any player on the roster come Jan. 10 has his contract guaranteed for the full season (even if he is let go), and as it takes 48 hours to clear waivers players have to be let go of Tuesday (5 ET) to make that deadline.
There were expected names at the top of the list of who got waived and cut loose on Tuesday, but here is a list of all the players waived at the last minute.
• In a surprise to nobody, the Chicago Bulls waived Andrew Bynum. This is why they traded Luol Deng to Cleveland, for the rights to get Bynum and cut him loose, ultimately saving the team $15 million in salary and taxes and getting them under the tax-line threshold. Certainly the Bulls become worse on the court with this move, Tom Thibodeau can’t be happy, but with Derrick Rose out and with it any real hopes of contending this was the smart move by Chicago.
• The Los Angeles Clippers waived veteran Stephen Jackson. This also was somewhat expected — with Chris Paul out for another month or more the Clippers need to carve out roster space for guys that can help them create shots. That’s not Jackson anymore. The Clippers are going to bring back Maalik Wayns on a 10-day contract for now in that roster slot.
• The Los Angeles Lakers waived forward Shawne Williams. Early in the season he looked like one of those guys who could come out of nowhere and thrive in Mike D’Antoni’s system, even started 11 games and put up 20 points against the Pistons. However, he still was averaging just 5.2 points a game on 37.7 percent shooting, he wasn’t an integral part of the team and the Lakers want to give his minutes to rookie Ryan Kelly to see if he can develop as a stretch four (he has shown some promise).
• Also as expected out of the Bynum trade, the Boston Celtics have waived Ryan Gomes. He was traded to them from Oklahoma City as the Thunder are looking to clear a roster spot for a bigger move and the Celtics wanted to save a little green, so to speak.
• Utah waived Mike Harris, a forward who had played a limited role for them getting in just 20 games. Utah has young front line guys it wants to play big minutes, which make Harris expendable.
• The Philadelphia 76ers have waived big man Daniel Orton, who had played in 22 games for the team this year. It will be interesting to see if another NBA team will give the former Kentucky big man another chance.
• Atlanta cut loose reserve guard Cartier Martin, a player that has lived on the fringe of the NBA for years.
Sep 15, 2014, 1:07 AM EDT
Mark Price worked with him last summer too and it had limited effect.
Sep 14, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
“If he wanted to leave, there’s no reason to talk to him about it,” Rubio said.
Sep 14, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Sep 14, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
The celebration was more entertaining than most of the game.
Sep 14, 2014, 5:18 PM EDT
With the win the USA is automatically qualified for the 2016 Rio Olympics.
Sep 14, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Lots of Paul Pierce and Shaun Livingston, both of whom left Brooklyn this summer in free agency.
Sep 14, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
It’s a long shot, but he’s at least got his foot in the door somewhere.
Sep 14, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Vonleh will miss all of the preseason, and his new head coach believes that will cost him an early opportunity to enter the rotation.
Sep 14, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
It was obvious that Australia threw the game against Angola to try to avoid Team USA in the tournament for as long as possible.
Sep 14, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Hayward attended training camp, but didn’t make the final cut to be a part of the 12-man roster.
Sep 14, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Anthony can thrive in the triangle — if he moves the ball.
Sep 14, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Serbia looks on paper to be just another speed bump between the USA and gold.
Sep 13, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Rose has averaged 5.4 points per game on 27.3 percent shooting.
Sep 13, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
Grizzlies last team to make a serious run at him.
Sep 13, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Bronze was a quality finish for the defending European champions.
Sep 13, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Read the entire letter from Atlanta’s new CEO, which details plans on how he intends to change the team culture.
Sep 13, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Plenty of Boris Diaw.
Sep 13, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Anthony was very direct in his assessment of the racially insensitive remarks made by the team’s GM and ownership.
Sep 13, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Team USA has won its last three games by an average of 31 points.
Rudy Gay upset over ‘dirty play’ that caused him to suffer a fractured jaw in Team USA’s win over Lithuania
Sep 13, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
DeMarcus Cousins caught an elbow too, and the teams had to be separated once the game was over.
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 8
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 18
- FIBA World Cup USA vs. Serbia preview: Serbia no pushover but Americans should grab gold 4
- France beats Lithuania to win World Cup bronze 6
- Carmelo Anthony says nobody would want to play for Hawks 20
- Serbia holds off furious French comeback, wins to advance to gold medal game vs. USA 4
- Hawks GM Danny Ferry releases statement on his leave of absence, apologizes again 6