Jan 7, 2014, 4:23 PM EDT
Today was essentially cut-down day in the NBA. Any player on the roster come Jan. 10 has his contract guaranteed for the full season (even if he is let go), and as it takes 48 hours to clear waivers players have to be let go of Tuesday (5 ET) to make that deadline.
There were expected names at the top of the list of who got waived and cut loose on Tuesday, but here is a list of all the players waived at the last minute.
• In a surprise to nobody, the Chicago Bulls waived Andrew Bynum. This is why they traded Luol Deng to Cleveland, for the rights to get Bynum and cut him loose, ultimately saving the team $15 million in salary and taxes and getting them under the tax-line threshold. Certainly the Bulls become worse on the court with this move, Tom Thibodeau can’t be happy, but with Derrick Rose out and with it any real hopes of contending this was the smart move by Chicago.
• The Los Angeles Clippers waived veteran Stephen Jackson. This also was somewhat expected — with Chris Paul out for another month or more the Clippers need to carve out roster space for guys that can help them create shots. That’s not Jackson anymore. The Clippers are going to bring back Maalik Wayns on a 10-day contract for now in that roster slot.
• The Los Angeles Lakers waived forward Shawne Williams. Early in the season he looked like one of those guys who could come out of nowhere and thrive in Mike D’Antoni’s system, even started 11 games and put up 20 points against the Pistons. However, he still was averaging just 5.2 points a game on 37.7 percent shooting, he wasn’t an integral part of the team and the Lakers want to give his minutes to rookie Ryan Kelly to see if he can develop as a stretch four (he has shown some promise).
• Also as expected out of the Bynum trade, the Boston Celtics have waived Ryan Gomes. He was traded to them from Oklahoma City as the Thunder are looking to clear a roster spot for a bigger move and the Celtics wanted to save a little green, so to speak.
• Utah waived Mike Harris, a forward who had played a limited role for them getting in just 20 games. Utah has young front line guys it wants to play big minutes, which make Harris expendable.
• The Philadelphia 76ers have waived big man Daniel Orton, who had played in 22 games for the team this year. It will be interesting to see if another NBA team will give the former Kentucky big man another chance.
• Atlanta cut loose reserve guard Cartier Martin, a player that has lived on the fringe of the NBA for years.
Aug 31, 2015, 5:35 PM EDT
He is a very good pick-and-roll guard with great court vision.
Aug 31, 2015, 5:02 PM EDT
The Suns have no leverage now even if they wanted to move him, and apparently they don’t.
Aug 31, 2015, 4:25 PM EDT
You don’t even need to pump up his sneakers
Aug 31, 2015, 3:27 PM EDT
Cleveland can watch Pointer develop without having to pay him
Aug 31, 2015, 2:26 PM EDT
Mike Clarkson says son committed to Lakers
Aug 31, 2015, 1:33 PM EDT
Don’t expect him to make the regular-season roster this season
Aug 31, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT
Could Lakers wing play in the 2016 Olympics?
Report: Tristan Thompson won’t accept less than max from Cavaliers, his agent thinks Raptors will offer it next summer
Aug 31, 2015, 11:43 AM EDT
Thompson might leverage the max from Cleveland, but it probably shouldn’t be because of this Toronto threat
Aug 31, 2015, 10:26 AM EDT
By dropping an NBA draft pick, Canadians show how far they’ve come
Aug 31, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Utah now has 20 players
Aug 31, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
This would have been fun to attend.
Aug 31, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
He’s a long shot to make a roster.
Aug 30, 2015, 10:16 PM EDT
Al-Farouq Aminu is headed back to the Olympics.
Aug 30, 2015, 9:39 PM EDT
There is no signed deal yet.
Aug 30, 2015, 9:02 PM EDT
Shaq said Phil Jackson was fair with them.
Aug 30, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
We’ll all look back at the McCallum trade and say “it’s the Spurs doing Spurs things again.”
Aug 30, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
He will be missed.
Aug 30, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Can Johnson take on the backup point guard role if Chalmers was moved?
Aug 30, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
“You’re talking about being a fiscally responsible person, I am. That’s precisely why I did this.” —Scott Walker
Aug 30, 2015, 12:31 PM EDT
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 1
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 19
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 26
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14