Jan 6, 2014, 12:36 AM EDT
Watch the video above — not Dirk Nowitzki taking free throws, but on the left watch J.R. Smith bend down like he’s checking his shoes and untie Shawn Marion‘s shoe while the free throw is taking place.
Marion goes down and plays the defensive possession out then you can see him as the team inbounds the ball he bends down to tie his shoe.
Was that just an amusing prank or something a little more serious? I lean toward prank but others see it differently.
It’s not as egregious as what Kidd did, not close. but of you want to argue it is unsportsmanlike you wouldn’t be wrong. The league can try to argue a slippery slope here with other pranks and decide to nip this in the bud with a fine. I’m not sure it really deserves that kind of attention, but the league office and I often seem to have a different sense of humor.
This comes the game after Smith’s ill-advised late-game three that cost the Knicks against the Rockets. Smith is on fire for providing blog fodder lately.
The Knicks didn’t need to untie shoes, they won 92-80.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 10
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32