Jan 6, 2014, 12:36 AM EDT
Watch the video above — not Dirk Nowitzki taking free throws, but on the left watch J.R. Smith bend down like he’s checking his shoes and untie Shawn Marion‘s shoe while the free throw is taking place.
Marion goes down and plays the defensive possession out then you can see him as the team inbounds the ball he bends down to tie his shoe.
Was that just an amusing prank or something a little more serious? I lean toward prank but others see it differently.
Just a hunch: JR Smith has another fine coming for that untying-Marion's-shoes maneuver. Unsportsmanlike, on par w/Kidd's soda move.—
Howard Beck (@HowardBeck) January 06, 2014
It’s not as egregious as what Kidd did, not close. but of you want to argue it is unsportsmanlike you wouldn’t be wrong. The league can try to argue a slippery slope here with other pranks and decide to nip this in the bud with a fine. I’m not sure it really deserves that kind of attention, but the league office and I often seem to have a different sense of humor.
This comes the game after Smith’s ill-advised late-game three that cost the Knicks against the Rockets. Smith is on fire for providing blog fodder lately.
The Knicks didn’t need to untie shoes, they won 92-80.
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 0
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36