Jan 6, 2014, 10:11 AM EDT
The team later rescinded the suspension, but only as a peace offering to Miller so he would paid for the two games he missed.
The veteran was still excused from all team activities, and while he’s expected to rejoin the Nuggets on Monday, his days there may be numbered due to no longer being a long-term fit for the team’s future plans.
Andre Miller, who was excused from all team activities for four days, won’t be part of the Nuggets for long after he returns.
The Nuggets are actively trying to trade Miller, according to a league source. If accomplished, it would be the second time Denver traded him. He was traded in 2006 in a package that brought Allen Iverson to the Nuggets.
Miller is on a very cap-friendly contract at the moment, one that pays him $5 million this season, with an extra year at $4.6 million that isn’t fully guaranteed.
A team could get quite a boost in production from Miller, a capable point guard known for his crafty “old man game” that allows him to get results despite his declining overall athleticism.
The Kings and the Warriors were the first teams to call about Miller’s availability when the incident initially took place, and Golden State would be a great fit considering the way they successfully used Jarrett Jack last season late in games in three-guard lineups. But now that Miller is somewhat officially on the block, a whole host of teams will likely be interested in dealing for his services.
Miller is in his 15th NBA season, and is averaging 5.9 points and 3.3 assists in 19 minutes per contest — all career lows thanks to a reduced role under Shaw.
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 5
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 20
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 68
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 52
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 29
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4