Jan 6, 2014, 10:38 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• One of my personal favorites around the league, Ronny Turiaf was back on the court for Minnesota Timberwolves Monday night, recovered from elbow surgery. Good to see it. He played 22 minutes and pulled down 9 rebounds.
• In other Timberwolves news the team is expected to soon send first-round draft pick Shabazz Muhammad to the D-League where he can get some minutes.
• RIP to Pacers co-founder, ex-president Chuck DeVoe who passed away at age 83.
• Clippers blogger (and my occasional pickup ball partner) Steve Perrin on how the Clippers have done historically without Chris Paul.
Chris Paul arrived in Los Angeles to join the Clippers in December of 2011 just after the NBA lockout ended. In two plus seasons since then, the Clippers have played 184 games — 164 with Paul, and 20 without him. As it happens, the team has won almost exactly two in three games with Paul (109-55) and exactly one in two games (10-10) without him.
• If you’re really enjoying these Toronto Raptors… well, know they may not be kept together that long.
• DeMarcus Cousins is up to 10 technical fouls this season. At 16 he gets a mandatory one-game suspension from the league.
• A number of NBA players are copying Dirk Nowtizki’s one-legged fade away.
• The Pelicans have told D-League guard Pierre Jackson (they own his draft rights) to go ahead and look for a trade if he wants.
• Former UNLV star and NBA player Jackie Robinson is heading up a plan to build a new NBA-ready arena in Las Vegas on the strip (by the SLS Las Vegas hotel-casino). It would open at the end of 2016.by 2016. They would love to get an NBA team in the building at some point but they don’t need one to get it built, there are enough events. There are actually two NBA-caliber arenas being built on the strip right now.
• Dwight Howard was asked about the Lakers and had this response:
• Finally, my man Coach Nick with a Kurtis Blow basketball parody video:
- Vogel: Andrew Bynum to play for Indiana Pacers Tuesday night 4
- Report: Phil Jackson expected to finalize contract with Knicks by end of week 21
- The Extra Pass: Gerald Green doesn’t regret moment of his winding journey to NBA stardom 10
- Monday NBA grades: Blake Griffin shows off his jumper (and yes, he can still dunk) 9
- Suns’ P.J. Tucker ejected after elbow thrown to Blake Griffin’s head (VIDEO) 18