Jan 6, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT
Kurt Thomas is considering a comeback, his agent told Marc Berman of the New York Post.
And why shouldn’t Thomas?
He’d make $8,232.39 every day he’s under contract. It’s not bad work if you can get it.
But can Thomas get it?
Thomas – now 41 years old – actually performed well in limited playing time with the New York Knicks last year. Per 36 minutes, he averaged 8.9 points, 8.2 rebounds and 1.5 blocks. Not too shabby for a backup big man with loads of experience.
But his season ended early when he suffered a stress fracture in his foot and the Knicks waived him. Thomas’ agent says his client is healthy now, though he’s obviously biased, and it’s very difficult to look past any injury to a player that age.
So, it’s possible a team signs Thomas, but the odds seem against him – especially because he’s not pitching himself to teams. Thomas’ agent, Jerry Hicks, via Berman:
“If the right call comes, he’d come back,’’ Hicks told The Post. “He’d only play for a club that has a legitimate chance at winning a championship. Not the Knicks, I can tell you that.’’
If Thomas is trying to come back, best of luck. It won’t be easy.
If this was just a ploy to take a public dig at the Knicks, well-executed.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47