Jan 6, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT
Kurt Thomas is considering a comeback, his agent told Marc Berman of the New York Post.
And why shouldn’t Thomas?
He’d make $8,232.39 every day he’s under contract. It’s not bad work if you can get it.
But can Thomas get it?
Thomas – now 41 years old – actually performed well in limited playing time with the New York Knicks last year. Per 36 minutes, he averaged 8.9 points, 8.2 rebounds and 1.5 blocks. Not too shabby for a backup big man with loads of experience.
But his season ended early when he suffered a stress fracture in his foot and the Knicks waived him. Thomas’ agent says his client is healthy now, though he’s obviously biased, and it’s very difficult to look past any injury to a player that age.
So, it’s possible a team signs Thomas, but the odds seem against him – especially because he’s not pitching himself to teams. Thomas’ agent, Jerry Hicks, via Berman:
“If the right call comes, he’d come back,’’ Hicks told The Post. “He’d only play for a club that has a legitimate chance at winning a championship. Not the Knicks, I can tell you that.’’
If Thomas is trying to come back, best of luck. It won’t be easy.
If this was just a ploy to take a public dig at the Knicks, well-executed.
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 0
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 16
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 13
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 24
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Chicago Bulls vs. Milwaukee Bucks 8