Jan 6, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
On Dec. 30, the Pistons were outscored 28-12 in the fourth quarter of a loss to the Washington Wizards. After the game, Detroit coach Maurice Cheeks said, via Vincent Goodwill of The Detroit News:
“I can’t, I can’t … whew,” said Cheeks when asked if he could pinpoint the continuous letdowns in fourth quarters. “We got stagnant, we didn’t keep playing the way we did in those (first) three quarters. They kept scoring. We didn’t for whatever reason.”
Five off days – and three practices devoted to fourth-quarter struggles later, according to David Mayo of MLive – not much has changed. Not even Cheeks’ answers.
Sunday, the Pistons were outscored 33-17 in the fourth quarter of a loss to the Memphis Grizzlies. John Niyo of The Detroit News:
Cheeks held a question-and-answer session with his players before holding his usual shrug-fest with the media.
“I wasn’t necessarily talking about what happened,” the coach explained. “I was just trying to get some insight for myself. Because I didn’t have the insight this time. Normally I do. This time I didn’t.”
The Pistons are the NBA’s worst fourth-quarter team:
They’re both bad defensively and horrific offensively in the final period:
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $50,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,500. Starts at 7pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Yet, it’s difficult to pinpoint exactly what goes wrong for Detroit late in games.
Whatever the reason, the Pistons clearly didn’t find it in their long break. Now, they’ll need to search on the fly, and for a team that made no apparent progress with the luxury of three practices and five off days, that’s not encouraging.
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 0
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 16
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 58
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 4
- Hawks’ excellent season shouldn’t be discredited because of playoff exit 24
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 82
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5