Jan 6, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
Maybe with this we can put the entire thing to bed. Please.
Carmelo Anthony is not getting traded to the Clippers for Blake Griffin and anyone telling you otherwise is selling something. The two sides have not even discussed this idea. It doesn’t matter if Chris Paul wants him or not.
Don’t take my words for it, here is what ‘Melo himself said when asked about the rumors, as reported at Newsday.
“There’s always trade rumors to try and get [me and Paul] together,” Anthony said. “It never happened … It was stupid and silly.”
The Knicks should have some concern that they are going to lose Carmelo Anthony this summer (it seems the people around ‘Melo are pushing that line of thinking) but their long term plan remains to re-sign him this summer. If you are going to get him in a trade, you have to blow the Knicks’ doors off.
The Clippers aren’t going to do that. Doc Rivers said as much. Griffin is an All-Star forward at age 24 whose game is still improving — and it’s a game that is a much better pick-and-roll fit on offense with CP3 than ‘Melo. The Clippers need consistent defense up front, that’s not what Anthony brings to the table.
Plus, after years of messed up draft picks Griffin is the one the Clippers nailed. He is the focus of their marketing campaign, he’s wildly popular with Clipper fans. Los Angeles isn’t moving him for ‘Melo. Or really anyone else.
Nothing to see here people, move along.
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 7
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 8
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 13
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 7