Jan 5, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
After the Lakers and Cavaliers hit a snag in their negotiations, ESPNLA 710 reported in a since-deleted tweet:
ESPNLA 710 later explained its reporting:
But not before a couple ESPN.com writers gave more-credible reports:
Nobody is denying this trade is in the works. Both sides are clearly discussing it – or at least a deal centered around it. The Cavaliers, under the salary-cap rules, could not trade Bynum straight up for Gasol. But Cleveland adding a minor player or two would make the trade acceptable, at least by the league office.
The Cavaliers want to make the playoffs, and the Lakers want salary relief, so the deal could help both sides. It probably helps the Cavaliers more, so they’ll have to send more to the Lakers (a young player and/or draft pick).
It sounds like both teams will spend Sunday trying to reach an agreement. But they haven’t found that middle ground yet.
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 2
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 2
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 2
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 8
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 15