Jan 5, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
After the Lakers and Cavaliers hit a snag in their negotiations, ESPNLA 710 reported in a since-deleted tweet:
ESPNLA 710 later explained its reporting:
But not before a couple ESPN.com writers gave more-credible reports:
Nobody is denying this trade is in the works. Both sides are clearly discussing it – or at least a deal centered around it. The Cavaliers, under the salary-cap rules, could not trade Bynum straight up for Gasol. But Cleveland adding a minor player or two would make the trade acceptable, at least by the league office.
The Cavaliers want to make the playoffs, and the Lakers want salary relief, so the deal could help both sides. It probably helps the Cavaliers more, so they’ll have to send more to the Lakers (a young player and/or draft pick).
It sounds like both teams will spend Sunday trying to reach an agreement. But they haven’t found that middle ground yet.
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 2
- Hawks’ excellent season shouldn’t be discredited because of playoff exit 24
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 75
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 22
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 13