Jan 5, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
After the Lakers and Cavaliers hit a snag in their negotiations, ESPNLA 710 reported in a since-deleted tweet:
ESPNLA 710 later explained its reporting:
But not before a couple ESPN.com writers gave more-credible reports:
Nobody is denying this trade is in the works. Both sides are clearly discussing it – or at least a deal centered around it. The Cavaliers, under the salary-cap rules, could not trade Bynum straight up for Gasol. But Cleveland adding a minor player or two would make the trade acceptable, at least by the league office.
The Cavaliers want to make the playoffs, and the Lakers want salary relief, so the deal could help both sides. It probably helps the Cavaliers more, so they’ll have to send more to the Lakers (a young player and/or draft pick).
It sounds like both teams will spend Sunday trying to reach an agreement. But they haven’t found that middle ground yet.
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 9
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 9
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 45
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36
- If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again 17