Jan 5, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
After the Lakers and Cavaliers hit a snag in their negotiations, ESPNLA 710 reported in a since-deleted tweet:
ESPNLA 710 later explained its reporting:
But not before a couple ESPN.com writers gave more-credible reports:
Nobody is denying this trade is in the works. Both sides are clearly discussing it – or at least a deal centered around it. The Cavaliers, under the salary-cap rules, could not trade Bynum straight up for Gasol. But Cleveland adding a minor player or two would make the trade acceptable, at least by the league office.
The Cavaliers want to make the playoffs, and the Lakers want salary relief, so the deal could help both sides. It probably helps the Cavaliers more, so they’ll have to send more to the Lakers (a young player and/or draft pick).
It sounds like both teams will spend Sunday trying to reach an agreement. But they haven’t found that middle ground yet.
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 4
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 14
- Kevin Durant on idea stars wouldn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘That’s bulls—‘ 28
- Former Warriors coach Mark Jackson meets with Kings GM, DeMarcus Cousins after Tuesday night’s game 20
- PBT’s Tuesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Grizzlies grind ends Warriors streak 9
- It’s official: Jabari Parker out for the season with torn ACL 20
- Grizzlies snap Warriors’ 16-game winning streak 4
- Report: Chris Mullin doesn’t want to jump in mid-season to coach Kings 3