Kendall Marshall begs for Twitter follow from Kobe Bryant

Jan 5, 2014, 11:00 AM EST

Kendall Marshall

How many Twitter followers do you have?

Admit it. You know the answer. Maybe not exact number, but a ballpark figure. You want to know how many people care about your thoughts.

NBA players are no different.

Kendall Marshall told Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times he gained 8,000 to 9,000 followers after scoring 20 points on 12 shots and dishing 15 assists in his first Lakers start, a win over the Jazz on Friday. Obviously, to get that follower number, Marshall – whose follower count was more than 164,000 as of this writing – had to know how many followers he had before the impressive start.

As much as Marshall is on top of his follower count, he seems particularly concerned about one particular Twitter user:

Bad news for Marshall. An hour before that tweet, Kobe tweeted:

If Marshall saw that tweet and was just trying to be funny, well done. Way to seize an opportunity (metaphor).

If not, the Lakers’ new point guard better not hold his breath. Sure, he has everyone buzzing about his breakout game, and Mike D’Antoni even compared Marshall to another replacement-turned star at the position:

But those types of flashes in the pan don’t get you on Kobe’s radar.

1. frankgarrett - Jan 5, 2014 at 11:12 AM

If you’re over the age of 18 and have a twitter account . L O S E R

• jimeejohnson - Jan 5, 2014 at 11:38 AM

I think you’re lying.

• ProBasketballPundit - Jan 5, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Is that so? So everybody who gets on twitter for NBA news or comedian’s jokes is a loser?

• johngalt1783 - Jan 5, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Not true at all. Evidently you are not aware of the great number of corporations and business related websites that use twitter. Using Twitter to follow hi-tech news can be extremely beneficial especially when a “zero-day” pops up.

• JMClarkent - Jan 5, 2014 at 3:25 PM

I tweeted your mother last night; I gave her all 140 characters that I could and finished up with a hashtag. She favorited my tweet and it was retweeted all…night…long.

• antistratfordian - Jan 5, 2014 at 7:41 PM

“Technology scares me.”

-frankgarrett

• casualcommenter - Jan 5, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Agreed.

5 years ago he was probably railing against e-mail, and 10 years ago he was probably complaining about cell phones.

• genericcommenter - Jan 5, 2014 at 8:12 PM

I get paid to tweet. So I’m cool with some anonymous calling me a loser.

2. ProBasketballPundit - Jan 5, 2014 at 11:49 AM

I have no idea if I have any followers and I don’t care. I use twitter for sports news & jokes and that’s it. I don’t tweet and don’t understand why twitter is always reduced to jokes about what Ashton Kutcher had for lunch.

3. wupsumskul - Jan 5, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Mike dantoni, you are an idiot. Jeremy Lin undrafted. Kendell Marshall 13th overall pick. He’s expected to do that. Stupid comparison.

4. bryco9 - Jan 5, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Twitter is garbage, just like Facebook was cool till everyone over the age of 50 started living on it. It’s all a garbage fad, remember the one 6-8 yrs ago, what was it, MySpace or something.
    Here one day, gone tomorrow, people need to get back to speaking face to face and not giving two sh%ts about how many followers or “friends” they have.
    Just another example of how damn weak this society is today, all the “follow me”, “friend me”, “don’t bully”. Just a bunch of weak minded pansies.

• johngalt1783 - Jan 5, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Not true. It is the fastest way to get Androit malware news and great links to the latest importanat business news includinig hi-tech, stock market etc.

5. lakerade - Jan 5, 2014 at 2:02 PM

He was being funny. But keep arguing, you still have the rest of the wknd to fill.

6. goldmember21 - Jan 5, 2014 at 2:26 PM

What a loser..

7. money2long - Jan 5, 2014 at 2:27 PM

HEY MALT
    do you know if anti is following kendall ?

8. dinofrank60 - Jan 5, 2014 at 3:11 PM

To answer the first question…
    The same amount of followers I had yesterday and two weeks ago.
    The same amount of followers I will have tomorrow and two weeks from now.

Zero.
    That was easy…

• asimonetti88 - Jan 5, 2014 at 5:27 PM

I have more followers than you then

• dinofrank60 - Jan 9, 2014 at 5:08 PM

I think the wino on the corner has more followers than I do.

9. fearthehoody - Jan 5, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Advice: Get off social networking garbage and get a real job. Make good money, and live your life. No I’m not 90, 27 with all of the above

• money2long - Jan 5, 2014 at 6:22 PM

don’t companies use twitter ?

• kindasporty - Jan 5, 2014 at 7:24 PM

I’d say Kendall Marshall has a pretty good job.

• genericcommenter - Jan 5, 2014 at 8:14 PM

So. I should take less money for a lower position? Makes sense.

10. money2long - Jan 5, 2014 at 6:23 PM

big businesses use social media

11. money2long - Jan 6, 2014 at 1:31 AM

17 assists
    just saying

12. kbutter5fan - Jan 6, 2014 at 1:55 PM

He wasn’t begging. He was clearly trying to be funny. He immediately followed the tweet to Kobe with another tweet: lmaooooo. His followers understood and responded with appreciation for his humor.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches