Jan 5, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
And with Cleveland under a deadline of sorts to get a deal done before Bynum’s contract becomes fully guaranteed Jan. 7, it’s not surprising that L.A. is sticking to its guns in terms of wanting an asset in return for Gasol in addition to the financial relief that the trade would provide.
Cleveland has been unwilling to include more than a second round pick to this point, which hasn’t yet been enough in the Lakers eyes to give up Gasol. The latest report had L.A. seeking an up-and-coming young talent still on his rookie contract, but the Cavs have been similarly firm in their position.
As Lakers push for assets in Gasol-Bynum discussions, Cavs have refused to include Dion Waiters in talks, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) January 5, 2014
Waiters is a shooting guard who really likes to shoot, but often does so at a low percentage. Many around the league see a lot of potential in the second year player, however, as evidenced by his invite to USA Basketball’s mini-camp in Las Vegas this past summer.
It’s unrealistic to believe the Cavaliers would include the player they selected with the fourth overall pick in the 2012 NBA Draft in a deal to eliminate the mistake of signing Bynum while securing no more than a half-season or so of Gasol’s services. But you can’t blame the Lakers for asking, or for their remaining steadfast in their demand to receive an asset back in return for a player of Gasol’s stature.
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 4
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 7
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 16
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40