Bucks’ Larry Sanders, Gary Neal argue in locker room following loss to Suns

Jan 5, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

larry sanders AP

The Bucks placed a lot of faith in Larry Sanders by signing him to a four-year, $44 million contract extension this summer, even though his game hadn’t reached a level worthy of that deal just yet.

Not that the team had much of a choice — a developing big man will command those types of dollars from someone, and Milwaukee is a small, unattractive market where star players aren’t exactly clamoring to play when it’s time to choose a new team in free agency.

But Sanders has been anything but a franchise cornerstone this season, questioning his playing time under new head coach Larry Drew, and then getting into a fight in a bar where he sustained an injury that required surgery and sidelined him for almost two months.

Now that he’s back, things are far from harmonious, and things boiled over into an argument in the locker room with Gary Neal following Milwaukee’s loss in Phoenix on Saturday.

From Paul Coro of the Arizona Republic:

Milwaukee’s frustrations spilled into the postgame locker room, where teammates Gary Neal and Larry Sanders got into a shouting match with media present. At one point, Neal yelled, “I earn my money. Why don’t you try it?”

Confrontations like this almost never take place while the media is there watching, that’s what makes this particular tiff so noteworthy. Players may have disagreements at times, but usually it stays behind closed doors and is reported on second-hand.

To have this happen publicly shows how toxic things have become around Sanders and his large contract, at least where his teammates are concerned.

1. 00maltliquor - Jan 5, 2014 at 12:40 PM

LOL @ Gary Neal!

• nyhammerhead - Jan 6, 2014 at 2:17 AM

The Snack man cometh
      had some French onion yogurt dip with Ruffles chips. Guilty free thanks to the yogurt. Cheers

• 00maltliquor - Jan 6, 2014 at 2:57 PM

LOL whaaat?

badintent, is that you?

• nyhammerhead - Jan 7, 2014 at 2:01 AM

Back and still bad. And hungry.Great NBA season ( with seasoned chips and dips ! LOL)

2. 00maltliquor - Jan 5, 2014 at 12:41 PM

We sure aren’t in San Antonio anymore Toto

3. themagicfanguy - Jan 5, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Gary Neal is just used to San Antonio where everyone works hard and stays focused.

4. themagicfanguy - Jan 5, 2014 at 1:14 PM

5. billtetley53 - Jan 5, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Shut up dummy. Your lakers are a laughingstock, you have no room to talk.

• 00maltliquor - Jan 5, 2014 at 2:00 PM

All those decades of my Lakers pounding your team from behind with no lube, we FINALLY not on top of the mountain and all you bhatty boys come up out of the closet to poke your little bird chests out and scream laughing stock, another 10 years, this-that, blah blah blah…you little dudes are FUNNY!

U MAD BRO!?? LOL

• apkyletexas - Jan 5, 2014 at 10:20 PM

@malt – “we FINALLY not on top of the mountain”

Like ’96, ’97, ’98 and ’99?
        And ’03, ’04, ’05, ’06, ’07, and ’08?
        And ’11, and ’12?

You guys been “not on top of the mountain” a bunch. Looking up at the Spurs most of those years, it seems.

• Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jan 6, 2014 at 12:36 AM

@apkyletexas: How convenient of you to call out those years in isolation and make it sound so pathetic.

Tell me then, from ’96 to ’13 give me one NBA franchise that has accomplished more than the Lakers.

Closest would be the Spurs with 4 rings… and none of them back-to-back.

• Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jan 6, 2014 at 12:51 AM

From ’99 to ’13 — that’s roughly 14 years. Half of those the Lakers were in the Finals (7 times: 2 THREE-peats).

Spurs were in the Finals five times — and none of them back-to-back.

6. peddealer - Jan 5, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Malt liquor….
    You wouldn’t happen to be Jody Highroller aka Riff Raff are you?

• 00maltliquor - Jan 5, 2014 at 2:04 PM

OH NO, MY COVERS BEEN BLOWN! QUiCK…TO THE VERSACE HELiCOPTER!!

7. lakerade - Jan 5, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Trade.

8. dohoangquan35 - Jan 5, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Neal is average 18.3 points per 36 mins while coming off the bench all the time. so i can fairly say that Gary well-earned his 3.2 mil contract

9. billtetley53 - Jan 5, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Malt, you’re a dime a dozen. On top of that, youre painfully ignorant The lakers have been mediocre you g on 4 years running now.. You’re team is TANKING on purpose. How pathetic for this franchise.

Jerry Buss is dead. The Lakers are in the hands of buffons and will st k for the foreseeable future.

Just shut up and go back to your lakers stories. Every other fanbase knows you lakers fans dont deal in reality.

• asimonetti88 - Jan 5, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Geez, someone is sensitive. What Gary Neal said was funny and quick witted, are Lakers fans not allowed to find it amusing?

10. billtetley53 - Jan 5, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Versace helicopter? The way you type( and I’m sure you speak Ebonics) your mide of transportation is a bicycle to work at the car wash. You’re welcome for your obama phone.

• 00maltliquor - Jan 5, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Somebody explain to grandpa what that back and forth between me and peddealer was all about^

And you got me confused buddy. Yes, I love my Lakers, but I am not ignorant in the least bit. I love the NBA as a whole too and I give out props to every team, and player that deserves it. You guys get too caught up in what you believe a Laker fan to be and take it for gospel. I am THE most objective fan on here and I don’t have any bias when making my comments. Not sure how I offended you in the 1st place but one of my original comments was more of a big up to the Spurs organization then it was any form of diss. I love basketball and the NBA and I don’t diss any one team, unlike you clowns that make it a goal in life to try to belittle Laker fans and kick them while they’re down. Get a life.

• Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jan 5, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Word.

Obviously their insecurities show since their team of choice have yet to accomplish what the Lakers have done.

And at this rate, not in their lifetime.

And before they accuse us of banner-waving which to them is sooooo long ago, they have quickly forgotten that not one franchise has gotten more than 5 championships since 2000.

Funny thing is, they bash us Laker fans at every opportunity they got — even if the Lakers have nothing to do with the post.

On topic: Neal got it right. You paid that much, then show you’re worthy of it.

11. jjthesportsguy - Jan 5, 2014 at 2:48 PM

How about the Bucks flip Sanders for Bynum, cut Bynum, and move forward with Henson at the center spot. I would love to see Henson and the Greek Freak as the main building blocks of whatever they are building.

• money2long - Jan 5, 2014 at 6:17 PM

hmm, putting giannis at the 4 would be very intriguing to see and a matchup nightmare with how versatile he is.

12. JHathwell - Jan 5, 2014 at 3:31 PM

You know, if there is a poster bot for what is wrong with advanced metrics in Basketball, it’s Larry Sanders. Wasnt that long ago that all the dorks were singing his praises and writing his name in all caps and whatnot.

The moral is easy: Stats don’t tell the whole story.

• bougin89 - Jan 6, 2014 at 10:10 AM

I’m not sure advanced stats helped Larry Sanders that much. If you watched him play last year he was our hustle guy, our energy. He consistently had a real positive effect when he was on the floor and it wasn’t until roughly 20 games in that he actually started getting consistent playing time. He runs the floor as well as any center in the league and challenges every shot around the basket. Offensively he was also very active even in half court sets. He legitimately looked worth the money because he was improving rapidly and beginning to use his athleticism in a positive way.

With that being said ever since he signed that contract it’s been a complete disaster for the Bucks. His extension doesn’t even kick in until next season too.

• spursareold - Jan 6, 2014 at 11:35 AM

His PER, the quick and dirty of advanced stats, was 18.7, nice, but not All Star level.

I think they didn’t base his signing on advanced stats, but on development potential, a dicey proposition for someone with character/behavior red flags. You have to do your due diligence in this department as much as in the talent department. Milwaukee swung and missed on that part, big time.

13. billtetley53 - Jan 5, 2014 at 3:35 PM

BS. You are a typical lakers fan. Don’t deny it. I’ve read a lot of what you wrote last year in between your washing of hubcaps. Quit crying about getting crap from other teams now that the lakers stink. You jerks ran your mouths for years, its time you take your medicine.

• Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jan 5, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Then you must have some reading disability.

Go back to school.

And this time, get a diploma.

• 00maltliquor - Jan 6, 2014 at 1:36 AM

LOL!

• Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jan 6, 2014 at 2:10 AM

Malt, I got your back on this one, buddy.

14. themagicfanguy - Jan 5, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Technically the Lakers have never been on top of the mountain, just saying. I dislike the Celtics but they’re #1 until LA catches up.

• Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jan 5, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Since 2000, I say they have been there. Celtics’ latest ring was after a tad more than TWO MEDIOCRE DECADES after.

15. peddealer - Jan 5, 2014 at 8:14 PM

00…

Don’t you mean great grandpa?

The one who still thinks Bird is greater than MJ

16. billtetley53 - Jan 6, 2014 at 8:57 AM

Yeah Malt, don’t worry, Foul has your back(side). You dolts are just like Packers fans, haven’t done crap in 4 years, yet are still trying to act like the team is relevant to the title picture. Then, when your season is deemed over(like now). ,you want to discuss trophies. Your argument is pathetic and has nothing to do with this hoops season. You jokers go and look at your 4 years and older trophies, the test of us will live in the present day and concentrate on the next trophy.

By the way foul, you can gfy. What a condescending sack of monkey nuts you are.

• bougin89 - Jan 6, 2014 at 12:01 PM

I’m a Packers/Bucks fan. Their are bandwagon/troll fans from every team. Malt isn’t one of them.

For the record I didn’t think the Packers had a chance this year with our defense, especially without our best defensive player. We still took a title contending team to the brink. That game came down to a few plays and the Niners were the team that made those plays. They were better than us yesterday but not by leaps and bounds.

• bougin89 - Jan 6, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Also, I really feel the need to point out how ignorant this comment is:

“You dolts are just like Packers fans, haven’t done crap in 4 years, yet are still trying to act like the team is relevant to the title picture.”

The Packers have literally won a Super Bowl in the last 4 years…

• Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jan 6, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Whatever makes you sleep well at night lady boy.

Trying to compensate for your ineptness in the bragging field, eh? LOL!

You just act so tough behind that screen. LMAO! So typical. What a wuzzz…

17. billtetley53 - Jan 6, 2014 at 1:13 PM

bougin: Yeah, malt IS one of those fans. He doesn’t have a unbiased bone in his body, much like your packers fanbase. When the season is lost, its “dust off the trophies time”.
    Also, like the packers fanbase, they want to run their mouthes when the going is good and people are just supposed to tolerate it, but they cry the loudest when they get razzed in return.

Packers are 3 years removed from a title, my mistake, still irrelevant to this season by 3 years. And no, they wrrent going on a run this year, your homerism is expected though.

• bougin89 - Jan 6, 2014 at 2:10 PM

I didn’t say it was relevant for this season. I just wanted to point out how ignorant your comment was.

I don’t run my mouth when the going is good and people are just suppose to tolerate it and I don’t cry the loudest when they get (insert whatever “razzed” means) in return. I stick by my teams even through the dark times. I’ve been very vocal about being a fan of the worst team in basketball, the Bucks.

Care to add anything to the conversation of value?

• Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jan 6, 2014 at 6:46 PM

He can’t bougin…

… coz he is an imbecile.

In the field of psychology, that’s even lower than an idiot.

What’s this doofus’ team any way?

18. 1heatedtoombrayduh - Jan 6, 2014 at 2:37 PM

If you cant talk about the previous trophies, then why bother playing for them?? Is there really a window for when youre allowed to talk/brag about them, if so, itd be from june (when the last game of finals is) to October? Forget that

19. billtetley53 - Jan 6, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Sash, but I’m sure any Bears, Lions, or Vikings fan you run into will tell you otherwise. Its a Packers mantra when they are eliminated. It goes right to 13 trophies. Its not that they werent good enough this year(much like lakers fans)
    Its ok to be happy about past trophies, but to be proud of them 3 to 70 years later? ,It has nothing to do with this year’s edition of the team….

Think Rodgers cares about 2011 right now? Kobe Kobe in2010? No, they look forward to the next. Its the sophmoric, ignorant fans that use past titles as some sort of litmus test for their well being.

I’d say you’re responding, so I guess I am adding to the conversation….

• Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jan 6, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Well, let me get this straight hillbilly53, many of us have accepted the fact that this year won’t be a championship run… and that is going to be the same too that in the end 28 others (read: TWENTY-EIGHT) won’t get the trophy either.

And so, after the dust has settled only one team becomes king of the mountain. Our franchise has trophies to clean over the break. What about the 28 others who didn’t get this year?

True, far past trophies would have nothing to do with the latest team. But you totally missed the point where the Lakers’ Pride is coming from.

It’s about tradition. It’s about CONSISTENCY. We won’t be down in the doldrums too long unlike other teams who have yet to get a taste of a BACK-TO-BACK, while others remain ONE-HIT-WONDERS.

That doesn’t mean though that the Lakers will just sit on their past banners and not aim to get more — in bunches.

Sure, we will be licking our chops this season — and so would the 28 others. So what? This year’s champion becomes irrelevant in two years?

• Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jan 6, 2014 at 7:14 PM

I haven’t even mentioned those NBA teams who have NO CHAMPIONSHIP BANNER.

Ever.

• bougin89 - Jan 7, 2014 at 9:19 AM

I’m proud of the Packers super bowl wins. I will recall them fondly probably forever. I would never use them in a debate about sports for a current season title hopes though, unless whatever team is the defending champs.

If you want to argue about who is the GOAT (in any sport) you can bet the people in that argument will be counting rings.

Back to the point though, care to add anything of value to the conversation? Or do you want to keep making generalizations based on what could be said about every fan base?

20. billtetley53 - Jan 6, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Jerry Buss is dead. His son is not his father. Look no further than paying Kobe with no negotiations.Teams aren’t bending over backwards to make bad trades anymore.
    Melo isn’t coming, Love isn’t coming, Kyrie isn’t coming, LeBron isn’t coming.

You’re stuck with a past his prime Kobe, and a bunch of 2nd tier stars…kinda like Dallas.

The trick the lakers of yester year had was handing the torch from superstar to superstar. That’s not happening here.

Trophies matter. To the fans. Its a crutch for your self esteem when your team blows. Like now, like for the next 5 years at least.
    2011 swept out of the playoffs
    2012 lose 4-1
    2013 swept in the 1st round
    2014 not making the playoffs
    2015-2020? more of the same
    Irrelevant for the foreseeable future.

Deal with it.

• Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jan 6, 2014 at 10:58 PM

LOL! That’s the problem with bottomfeeders like you — there’s no other way to look at oneself but up.

You haven’t even made a decent rebuttal to my point of argument, lady boy.

No, YOU deal with it, hijo de flauta. XP.

21. peddealer - Jan 7, 2014 at 8:12 AM

Hey Bill can I assume you were born in 1953?

If this is true, don’t you have more to do with yourself than talk trash on here all day…

Justin
    Dallas mavericks fan for life
    UT-Austin B.A. 2006
    UT – Austin MBA 2008

I could crush you in trash talk but I have a family and career to tend to…

And if you believe what you say about 00, then do you usually take your time to argue with car wash employees over the lack of quality basketball coming from the Lakers?
    BTW, what was it like watching George Mikan?

22. billtetley53 - Jan 7, 2014 at 10:11 AM

You keep responding dummy, I must be adding to the conversation….

Rings in a team sport is a pretty stupid argument(one that many use) for the GOAT. Marino was a great QB, he has no rings, so he’s not in the discussion?
    Same for Karl Malone. Same for Ernie Banks.
    Oscar Robertson has 1 title…look at his stats, nearly a triple double for his career.
    Jerry West, I could go on and on.

Rings to judge individual players in a team sport is idiotic. You’re having to rely on others to achieve that goal.

Titles are nice, be proud of them,. I will generalize though, because an inordinate amount of Packers and Lakers fans wave them in everyones faces when the seaso ends, or their team stinks to high heaven, its as sure as death and taxes.

• bougin89 - Jan 7, 2014 at 11:42 AM

“You keep responding dummy, I must be adding to the conversation….”

Ditto.

“Hahaha, 4 damb posts back. What’s the matter? Is it THAT easy to get under your skin?! You’re a disappoint foul.”

Says the guy complaining about fans that annoy him. Going through life only believing generalizations would suck. Good luck with that.

23. billtetley53 - Jan 7, 2014 at 1:20 PM

Fool: Nice try. You aren’t under my skin by any means. You cried for some substance to my postings, I gave it to you, and you totally ignored it.

You are like any other brain dead poster on this site. You have no answer for anything so you just have to whine about my generalzations(which are usually spot on by the way).
    Don’t read what I post if you don’t like it you dope, its that simple.

Nice try in trying to say you’re trolling me. Its plain for everyone to see that’s not the case. Gi look at the Packers schedule for next year and predict 13 wins like you do every year.Meathead.

• bougin89 - Jan 7, 2014 at 2:31 PM

“You are like any other brain dead poster on this site.”

Says the guys writing petty posts.

“You have no answer for anything so you just have to whine about my generalzations(which are usually spot on by the way).”

I’ve been taking your quotes and literally giving answers to them(just like this). Care to explain this ignorant comment?

“Gi look at the Packers schedule for next year and predict 13 wins like you do every year.”

I won’t be doing that. I’ll see what changes happen on our defense and then make a prediction. It’ll most likely be around 10 wins.

“Nice try in trying to say you’re trolling me. Its plain for everyone to see that’s not the case.”

Looking at your overall thumbs up/down on this thread do you really think that’s accurate?

Using opinions as facts is ignorant. You use your opinion(a very biased and unobjective one at that) as fact.

• Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jan 7, 2014 at 6:54 PM

I smell a stinking rat, bougin89. You know, the paulhargis type? Feed the varmint critter with caution. LOL!

*enter “That’s Entertainment!”*

• bougin89 - Jan 8, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Your right. He’s not worth it. He’s too ignorant.

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches