Rumor: Knicks, Clippers have had ‘internal discussions’ about a Carmelo Anthony for Blake Griffin trade
Jan 4, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
Apologies in advance for even bringing this up, because this isn’t a report of anything actually happening between two teams.
But a sourced report appearing on one of the leading national websites involving two of the game’s biggest stars — Blake Griffin and Carmelo Anthony, to be precise — requires comment here. So, with that out of the way, let’s get to the very shaky details.
With the looming possibility of Carmelo Anthony departing New York as a free agent this summer, New York Knicks officials have discussed proposing a trade to the Los Angeles Clippers for Blake Griffin, according to league sources.
Sources say Clippers management also has had internal discussions about such a deal but that the clubs have not yet spoken to one another about a potential trade.
As of now, neither team is certain it would make an Anthony-for-Griffin trade, the sources said.
Did you get all that? To summarize:
– One team internally “discussed proposing a trade” to another.
– The second team also has had “internal discussions” about the same deal.
– The teams have not spoken to each other, and neither is sure of its actual interest in said trade.
Why are we here, again?
The Clippers have an irrationally high value of Griffin — not only is he a legitimate All-Star talent that seems to be improving season by season, but he’s the one top draft choice the team has made in its long and mostly miserable history that has actually worked out.
L.A. would have zero interest in trading him for Anthony straight up, not only for this reason, but also because Griffin is only 24 and in just his fourth NBA season. Anthony is 29 and in his 11th season, and will require a four- or five-year max contract that will take him into the twilight of his career.
The Knicks would have to offer a lot more than Anthony in exchange for Griffin for the Clippers to stop laughing long enough to be able to say no. But as the report noted, the teams haven’t even had an initial conversation.
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 3
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 30