J.R. Smith continues Knicks pattern of late-game mistakes with ill-advised three in loss to Rockets (VIDEO)
Jan 4, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
The Knicks had an opportunity to win their second straight game against a team that has performed much better than New York has to this point, but another bone-headed mistake in a season that’s been full of them derailed that chance.
Tied with the Rockets with under a minute remaining, New York inbounded the ball with 16 seconds left on the shot clock. After a miss from Beno Udrih, an offensive rebound from Tyson Chandler and a reset of the offense, Udrih got it back and kicked it to J.R. Smith at the top of the three-point arc with 21 seconds remaining.
As we all realized, both at the time and with the benefit of hindsight, Smith didn’t need to immediately launch the shot. But he did anyway, and once it rimmed out, Houston secured the rebound and won the game by virtue of two free throws from Aaron Brooks.
It wasn’t the smartest of plays, and Smith admitted as much afterward.
J.R. Smith says he thought the Knicks were down 2 when he took the ill advised three. “That’s bad basketball IQ on me,” he said.
— Frank Isola (@FisolaNYDN) January 4, 2014
Bone head play! Slander well deserved!
The slander is indeed well-deserved, but in Smith’s defense, his shot probably wasn’t as bad as the one Andrea Bargnani took a few weeks back.
It was far from a smart play by Smith, but at some point the overall focus of the team has to be called into question when multiple players aren’t aware of the time remaining and the game’s situation.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 26
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 34
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 20
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 17
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 7