Jan 4, 2014, 3:30 PM EST
Eric Bledsoe was a late scratch for the Suns in their home loss to the Grizzlies on Thursday, thanks to some swelling that appeared in his knee in the days that followed the team’s win in Los Angeles earlier in the week.
A couple of extra days off hasn’t helped enough to the point where he can get back on the court just yet, and head coach Jeff Hornacek said at Saturday’s shootaround that Bledsoe would now be sidelined at least a week with the injury.
Bledsoe sprained the right knee during Monday night’s win at the Los Angeles Clippers and sat out Thursday’s home loss to Memphis due to the sprain and swelling in the knee. He underwent a MRI and the diagnosis remained a sprain.
“It actually felt better day by day so we shall see,” Bledsoe said. “It’s definitely frustrating but it happens.” …
“We don’t want to rush him back,” Hornacek said of Bledsoe. “They’ll check him out in another week and see if the inflammation goes down and go from there.
“He said the swelling is still in there and it’s stiff.”
The Suns are 3-4 without Bledsoe in the lineup this season.
Announcement: ProBasketballTalk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Saturday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $5,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Saturday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Gerald Green, who came to Phoenix in the offseason in the trade that sent Luis Scola to the Pacers, will get the start in Bledsoe’s place. He’s performed well in that role, averaging 15.2 points per game in his 13 starts for the Suns.
Phoenix currently sits at seventh in the Western Conference standings with a record of 19-12 on the season. Bledsoe has been a big part of that with averages of 18 points, 4.3 rebounds and 5.8 assists in 33.5 minutes per contest.
- Report: Tom Thibodeau’s relationship with Bulls management believed to be ‘beyond repair’ 17
- Dwight Howard out at least two games with swelling in his knee 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 11
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 52
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 6
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 18
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 17
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 28