Jan 4, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Eric Bledsoe was a late scratch for the Suns in their home loss to the Grizzlies on Thursday, thanks to some swelling that appeared in his knee in the days that followed the team’s win in Los Angeles earlier in the week.
A couple of extra days off hasn’t helped enough to the point where he can get back on the court just yet, and head coach Jeff Hornacek said at Saturday’s shootaround that Bledsoe would now be sidelined at least a week with the injury.
Bledsoe sprained the right knee during Monday night’s win at the Los Angeles Clippers and sat out Thursday’s home loss to Memphis due to the sprain and swelling in the knee. He underwent a MRI and the diagnosis remained a sprain.
“It actually felt better day by day so we shall see,” Bledsoe said. “It’s definitely frustrating but it happens.” …
“We don’t want to rush him back,” Hornacek said of Bledsoe. “They’ll check him out in another week and see if the inflammation goes down and go from there.
“He said the swelling is still in there and it’s stiff.”
The Suns are 3-4 without Bledsoe in the lineup this season.
Announcement: ProBasketballTalk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Saturday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $5,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Saturday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Gerald Green, who came to Phoenix in the offseason in the trade that sent Luis Scola to the Pacers, will get the start in Bledsoe’s place. He’s performed well in that role, averaging 15.2 points per game in his 13 starts for the Suns.
Phoenix currently sits at seventh in the Western Conference standings with a record of 19-12 on the season. Bledsoe has been a big part of that with averages of 18 points, 4.3 rebounds and 5.8 assists in 33.5 minutes per contest.
- LeBron struggles in Cleveland debut as Knicks stun Cavaliers 19
- LeBron, Cavaliers introduced on opening night in Cleveland (VIDEO) 3
- Dominant Pau Gasol shows he may be a perfect fit for Bulls 18
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 28
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 24
- Rajon Rondo leads Celtics to rout of Nets. How much does it mean? 10
- Bulls cruise to 24-point opening night win over Knicks 19
- Lakers’ rookie Julius Randle has surgery to repair fractured tibia, out for season 16