Jan 4, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Chris Paul left midway through the third quarter of the Clippers’ contest in Dallas on Friday, and didn’t return after suffering a shoulder injury that’s expected to sideline him for three-five weeks.
That didn’t prevent his team from winning, however, as L.A. erased a seven-point deficit with 4:06 to play by finishing the game on a 16-2 run to send the Mavericks to another devastating loss.
Dallas has had a habit of blowing big leads this season, and it’s beginning to wear on Dirk Nowizki, who said afterward he doubts his team’s chances of making the playoffs the way they keep letting these wins escape.
“It’s a game we can’t lose,” Nowitzki said. “Can’t afford to lose that one.”
Nowitzki has had similar takes after a few other losses this season. The Mavs have blown leads of 17 to the Atlanta Hawks, 18 to the Golden State Warriors and 19 to the Toronto Raptors in losses. With the exception of the Atlanta loss, all of those happened at the American Airlines Center. …
“The way we let those games slip away, I don’t think we’re a playoff team,” Nowitzki said. “We’ve got to win those games. We’ve got to find a way to get those stops and protect the home court.”
Dallas is currently in the playoff picture, the West’s eighth and final team that would make the postseason based on today’s standings.
The Mavericks figure to be challenged by the Timberwolves and possibly the Pelicans for that playoff spot before the season is through, however, and Nowitzki’s assessment of things is likely correct if the Mavericks can’t begin to find ways to close games out.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 78
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32