Jan 4, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Chris Paul left midway through the third quarter of the Clippers’ contest in Dallas on Friday, and didn’t return after suffering a shoulder injury that’s expected to sideline him for three-five weeks.
That didn’t prevent his team from winning, however, as L.A. erased a seven-point deficit with 4:06 to play by finishing the game on a 16-2 run to send the Mavericks to another devastating loss.
Dallas has had a habit of blowing big leads this season, and it’s beginning to wear on Dirk Nowizki, who said afterward he doubts his team’s chances of making the playoffs the way they keep letting these wins escape.
“It’s a game we can’t lose,” Nowitzki said. “Can’t afford to lose that one.”
Nowitzki has had similar takes after a few other losses this season. The Mavs have blown leads of 17 to the Atlanta Hawks, 18 to the Golden State Warriors and 19 to the Toronto Raptors in losses. With the exception of the Atlanta loss, all of those happened at the American Airlines Center. …
“The way we let those games slip away, I don’t think we’re a playoff team,” Nowitzki said. “We’ve got to win those games. We’ve got to find a way to get those stops and protect the home court.”
Dallas is currently in the playoff picture, the West’s eighth and final team that would make the postseason based on today’s standings.
The Mavericks figure to be challenged by the Timberwolves and possibly the Pelicans for that playoff spot before the season is through, however, and Nowitzki’s assessment of things is likely correct if the Mavericks can’t begin to find ways to close games out.
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 2
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 9
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 11
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 9
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 45
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 13
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60