Thomas Robinson was yelling “lunch meat” every time Aldridge touched ball

Jan 3, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT

Thomas Robinson wasn’t getting a lot of time on the court Thursday night — he played garbage time in the second half of the fourth quarter of the Trail Blazers’ blowout of the Bobcats, that was it — but he was still a part of the story after the game.

It started with this tweet from courtside photographer Bruce Ely:

Lunch meat?

Why does Robinson want LaMarcus Aldridge to think of prepackaged Bologna? Ben Golliver of The Blazers Edge doesn’t away from these tough questions and asked.

“Lunch meat,” Robinson explained to Blazersedge, smiling. “Whatchu do when you got some lunch meat? You eat it. Exactly! Whenever someone [is guarding Aldridge], he’s always eating. He’s L.A. Whenever somebody on him, he eat him. Lunch meat. That’s how it is.”

“It means the guy can’t guard me,” Aldridge sheepishly told Blazersedge. “That I’m going to score at will. It’s not that simple when I’m doing it. They say it looks that easy sometimes. It’s fine, but I’m not going to get into it, I’m not going to say it myself.”

So “lunch meat” is the new “butter” or “all day long” among the other things I’ve heard at pickup games (admittedly at times the guy I was guarding got the rock).

Lunch meat may be the best one yet. Feel free to use at your own discretion.

1. msuspartan89 - Jan 3, 2014 at 12:06 PM

DATS BBQ CHICKEN DOWN DER.

• adoombray - Jan 3, 2014 at 1:33 PM

just because he’s black he likes barbecue and chicken?

• illegalblues - Jan 3, 2014 at 1:46 PM

i’m white and love barbecue and chicken

• shen90 - Jan 3, 2014 at 2:46 PM

I think he made the comment in reference to him being from Texas.

• 00maltliquor - Jan 3, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Who said anything about him being black!? That’s just how YOU perceived it! lol

• shadowshand - Jan 3, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Is LA black?

2. vikesdynasty - Jan 3, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Overrated. $100 says they don’t even win. 50 games.

• bougin89 - Jan 3, 2014 at 1:40 PM

You think they will go 23-26 the rest of the season?

3. dondada10 - Jan 3, 2014 at 1:54 PM

And if the guy you’re defending can’t dribble it’s cookies.

4. emosnar - Jan 3, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Its cookies when the ball is stolen. BBQ chicken is the best (SHAQ owned phrase). Lunch meat isnt too new. Its been around for at least 5 years. I heard it in a couple gyms throughout the year. My personal all time favorite…. RAINDROPS!!!

5. emosnar - Jan 3, 2014 at 3:56 PM

6. captainwisdom8888 - Jan 3, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Aldridge just wets jumpers all day…I mean soaking wet…filthy wet…the kid’s flat out drenched…get him a couple towels-kinda wet.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview