Jan 3, 2014, 10:14 AM EDT
The D-League has historically been used as a player development tool more than a place for players to find their way back from injury, and it would be a first to see a player of Rondo’s stature appear in one of the league’s regular season games.
Rondo met with reporters before Boston’s loss in Chicago on Thursday and reiterated the possibility, but made it clear that it’ll be more of a spur of the moment decision than something that’s planned as a step along the way before he returns to action for the Celtics.
“It’s an idea, definitely,” he said. “That’s more game-like speed. With our schedule, we don’t get a lot of chances to play a lot of pickup, so that may be a possibility. You just never know. I might pop up and just play. You guys won’t get the memo. You’ll have to catch me on YouTube or something. But I don’t know. It’ll be like an overnight decision.
“I think that’s what it’s for. I’d probably be the first guy to do that, but it doesn’t make a difference. I want to make sure I’m healthy and handle it the right way. I haven’t had a preseason. I haven’t had a training camp. Right now, this is pretty much my training camp.”
No problem on the YouTube part, since the D-League live streams all of its games there.
Rondo doesn’t need to rush back into action, considering that the Celtics’ plan is to rebuild and develop young talent more than it is to make a playoff push, despite the fact that the team’s sub-.500 record had it atop the Atlantic Division and in line for a postseason spot until just recently.
The last thing the All-Star guard wants is to try to come back too soon, only to suffer another injury when his body isn’t fully ready to take on the rigors of the NBA season. Rondo will take his time, and might just give basketball fans in Maine a special treat along the way during his rehabilitation process.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 41
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 5
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5