Jan 3, 2014, 6:09 PM EDT
UPDATE 6:09 pm: And it’s official, the Orlando Magic have waived Hedo Turkoglu.
No team is going to claim him off waivers and pick up the $6 million he is owed. It is possible he gets a minimum deal, more likely he gets a 10 day contract soon.
4:04 pm: So much for trying to find a trade partner.
Hedo Turkoglu has basically the same contract as Andrew Bynum — he was due $12 million this season but if he is waived by Jan. 7 he was only owed $6 million of that. As Cleveland had done with Bynum, Orlando kept Turkoglu around as a potential trade chip.
They have thrown in the towel on that reports John Denton at the Orlando Magic’s official Web site.
Turkoglu likely could get a healthy contract for a powerhouse team back in his native Turkey, but that’s not the plan according to those on the ground in Turkey.
Hidayet Türkoğlu won't listen any offers from Europe. He wants to stay in the NBA. Lakers and Hawks are interested.—
Ismail Senol (@ismailsenol) January 03, 2014
Turkoglu was a valuable stretch four, one who could handle the ball (him on the pick-and-roll was key to Orlando’s 2009 NBA Finals run). However, in recent years his shot hasn’t fallen and his entire game has shown age — he hasn’t played in a year and shot just 29 percent in the handful of games he got in.
It is possible a team gives him a 10-day contract when those open up. That said I wouldn’t expect him to be a meaningful part of any NBA team right now.
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 39
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 16
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 33
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 14
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 22
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 25
- Cavaliers, with LeBron James and Kevin Love, favored by oddsmakers to win 2015 NBA title 29
- Scout says Carmelo Anthony can be good triangle fit — if he moves the ball 20