Jan 3, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
You had to know not long after the recent bench outburst at his coach that got Andre Miller suspended from the Denver Nuggets for a couple games, teams would be reaching out trying to trade for him.
Sacramento and Golden State, specifically, reports Adrian Wojnarowski and Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports.
The Warriors have been shopping for a backup point guard and have been engaged for weeks with Toronto on Kyle Lowry, sources said. The Warriors and New have been two of the most persistent suitors for Lowry, but Toronto’s recent run of success has made the front office more reticent to unload Lowry, league sources said. Toronto hasn’t completely changed course on a possible deal for Lowry, but they’re no longer simply auctioning him.
Sacramento GM Pete D’Allessandro was a longtime executive with the Nuggets and has long been an admirer of Miller’s. The Kings would love to use Miller as a veteran mentor for young point guard Isaiah Thomas, league sources said.
Still, don’t bet on it happening soon.
Denver had resisted trade overtures before Wednesday’s encounter between Miller and Shaw on the Nuggets bench, and teams reaching out to the Nuggets on Thursday insist that Nuggets GM Tim Connelly still seems committed to working through the issues with Miller and getting him back on the floor for Denver….
One thing to take away from this is that Golden State realizes how much it misses Jarrett Jack and what he brought them last year. A player that could ease Stephen Curry’s minutes and lead the second unit would be huge, and Miller could certainly do those things well.
This is something to watch long term, more like near the trade deadline. If Denver’s slump continues and they slide out of the playoff picture in the West, they may be willing to move Miller to get an asset to be a longer-term part of their future.
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 5
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 5
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 10
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 22
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4