Jan 3, 2014, 5:38 PM EDT
Deadlines move people in the NBA.
To clear the second half of Andrew Bynum’s $12.2 million off their books before the deal becomes guaranteed, a team has to waive Bynum by Jan. 7, next Tuesday.
So Monday the Cavaliers are going to trade him. That’s the plan reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Cavs mulling a few trade scenarios for Andrew Bynum, with target of Monday to choose one. Unlikely Cavs send out significant asset w/ Bynum.—
Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) January 03, 2014
The most discussed Bynum trade, that for Pau Gasol of the Los Angeles Lakers, appears dead based on the second half of that tweet — the Lakers as an organization are not disposed to make a salary dump and tank for the playoffs, they would want some future potential building blocks in the deal along with the cash savings. Cleveland isn’t giving up assets.
That trade also shows you what the Cavaliers hope to find in a deal — a quality player like Gasol who can help you make a playoff push.
In theory the Cavaliers could hold on to Bynum and pay him $6.2 million to be a trade chip at the draft (teams could get him and waive the full $12.5 million off next year’s books), but I wouldn’t bet on that scenario.
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 5
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 42
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 53
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 70
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 37
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16