Jan 3, 2014, 5:38 PM EDT
Deadlines move people in the NBA.
To clear the second half of Andrew Bynum’s $12.2 million off their books before the deal becomes guaranteed, a team has to waive Bynum by Jan. 7, next Tuesday.
So Monday the Cavaliers are going to trade him. That’s the plan reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Cavs mulling a few trade scenarios for Andrew Bynum, with target of Monday to choose one. Unlikely Cavs send out significant asset w/ Bynum.—
Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) January 03, 2014
The most discussed Bynum trade, that for Pau Gasol of the Los Angeles Lakers, appears dead based on the second half of that tweet — the Lakers as an organization are not disposed to make a salary dump and tank for the playoffs, they would want some future potential building blocks in the deal along with the cash savings. Cleveland isn’t giving up assets.
That trade also shows you what the Cavaliers hope to find in a deal — a quality player like Gasol who can help you make a playoff push.
In theory the Cavaliers could hold on to Bynum and pay him $6.2 million to be a trade chip at the draft (teams could get him and waive the full $12.5 million off next year’s books), but I wouldn’t bet on that scenario.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 72
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32