Stephen Curry is rooting for Panthers in playoffs (and talks Miami game)

Jan 2, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT

In case you didn’t know this, Golden State’s star point guard Stephen Curry is a Charlotte native and a homer for the city — that includes the Charlotte Bobcats. Even if they have to face San Francisco in the playoffs.

Curry talked about that on the Dan Patrick Show Tuesday and talked a little NFL, if the guys in the NFL that think they could play in the NBA really could (it’s about as likely as NBA guys playing in the NFL, not many if any) and then they started talking about the Warriors taking on the Heat Thursday night.

Because we’re all waiting for the NFL playoffs, thought I’d pass this along.

1. robforman - Jan 2, 2014 at 1:32 PM

The Bobcats aren’t facing San Francisco in the playoffs, the Panthers are. The Bobcats are a basketball team. Are you even remotely embarrassed by the consistent lack of professionalism displayed in your articles on a daily basis?

2. ashutto20 - Jan 2, 2014 at 2:01 PM

I think ill take the Niners if they have to play the Bobcats

3. yournuts - Jan 2, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Why shouldn’t he, he grew up there. So Kurt, is this the best you have? It must be a slow news day? Are you on a beach somewhere and can only listen to the Dan Patrick show?

• Kurt Helin - Jan 4, 2014 at 6:50 PM

I live five blocks from the beach, so I’m there all the time.

4. deadeyedesign23 - Jan 2, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Any by Charlotte Bobcats you mean Carolina Panthers.

5. davidly - Jan 2, 2014 at 3:56 PM

The reigning finals champion Heat face a lineal champ for the first time this season.

• bjornreyes - Jan 2, 2014 at 11:18 PM

Not really, Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the Heat won the lineal championship from the Jazz earlier this season.

• davidly - Jan 3, 2014 at 5:58 AM

The Jazz had already lost it to San Antonio two nights earlier when they played the Heat.

6. davidly - Jan 2, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Former Knick and Heisman Trophy winner Charlie Ward could’ve made it in the NFL–and though he made the wiser choice–he displayed his gridiron cred on the hardcourt by taking P.J. Brown out at the knees in the ’97 Eastern Conf Semis.

• pbtunpaidwriter - Jan 2, 2014 at 5:24 PM

A lot of people think they could play in the NFL, QB is no joke.

That’s why Charlie Ward chose to be a backup his whole career in the NBA?

• davidly - Jan 2, 2014 at 5:28 PM

You’d have to ask him. Speaking of backups: the Chiefs contacted him his rookie year to back up Joe Montana; he declined. I don’t blame him.

• sire2334 - Jan 2, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Not sure what his level of success would’ve been but he definitely could’ve played in the NFL. No question.

• davidly - Jan 3, 2014 at 6:04 AM

I agree. Interestingly enough, it was his height that made him such a low prospective pick in the NFL–and though he didn’t exactly light up the NBA, he did play for the same team for a decade. Considering the respective health issues for veterans of both games, I’d say he chose the right career for himself. Though I bet he would’ve destroyed the CFL.

7. ProBasketballPundit - Jan 2, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Go Panthers! Greg Hardy finished with 50 sacks this season and then he beat LeBron one-on-one in a pickup game. I even heard he eats his breakfast cereal with no spoon.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches