Jan 2, 2014, 5:49 PM EDT
Andre Miller is a proud and frustrated veteran — his minutes have been slipping lately as coach Brian Shaw has grown frustrated with the play of his bench. Wednesday night Miller got a DNP-CD and lashed out at Brian Shaw on the bench during the Nuggets eighth straight loss.
Thursday the team announced they had suspended Miller two games for the incident. Miller has been kept away from the team since the end of the game Wednesday and will now be out Friday against the Grizzlies then Sunday against the Lakers in a battle of struggling teams.
Shaw’s response to the incident was to downplay it.
“There’s a time and place for everything,” Shaw said. “In the middle of the arena in front of everyone … I just tried to calm it down.”
Millers’ numbers have dropped this season this season — his true shooting percentage has fallen 14 points to 53.4 percent (which is still close to his career average and the league average) and he is assisting on 26.7 percent of his teammates buckets when on the court, well down from the 32.2 percent he was at last season. His defense hasn’t been great. That said, he’s still been solid overall.
Miller was vocal with George Karl at times too, but Karl trusted and stood up for Miller. The veteran is also very popular with teammates.
Denver’s ugly loss Wednesday night kind of felt like rock bottom for the franchise this season, but you have to wonder if it really is.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49