Kevin Garnett admits his rhythm off in Nets system

Jan 2, 2014, 12:19 PM EDT

Milwaukee Bucks v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

Putting players in a position to do what they do well and succeed is one of the biggest jobs as a coach. Look at the best — Gregg Popovich, Phil Jackson — and you find systems designed to get guys to do what they do well and not play to their weaknesses.

Conversely, there is whatever the Brooklyn Nets are doing under Jason Kidd.

Kevin Garnett is having a career-worst season — 6.5 points a game, a true shooting percentage of 39.8 percent, a PER of 10.7, all career lows.

He’s frustrated and told Newsday the Nets system, such as it is, has thrown off his shooting rhythm.

“The most frustrating thing about me is I could see if I wasn’t hitting shots and I wasn’t in here working or taking —- days off,” Garnett said Wednesday before the Nets flew to Oklahoma City to meet the Thunder tonight. “I put time into my craft for it to come out, but then that’s rhythm on offense. And I don’t have that right now.”

“Honestly, I have no rhythm,” Garnett said. “I’m trying to establish some confidence and figure this whole where I fit into the offense thing. Right now I’m just not even a priority.”

Part of this is KG is losing his footrace with Father Time — he is a step slow this season, which particularly shows on the defensive end.

Most players thrive better in a structure and the Nets offense seems not to have a consistent one. Injuries and guys like Deron Williams and Brook Lopez being in and out of the lineup (in Lopez’s case now out for the year) has not helped. Still, it’s hard to find an overall structure. It’s hard to see a system that just works.

And it shows in KG’s game — he wasn’t due for this kind of step back. He’s still a better player than he has shown.

1. jammer73 - Jan 2, 2014 at 12:29 PM

He outta admit he’s washed up, has nothing left in the tank and just needs to retire already like his buddy Pierce.

• bougin89 - Jan 2, 2014 at 1:18 PM

KG can still play at a high level. If you’ve watched the Nets play it’s a lot of isolation basketball on offense and a ton of different rotations because of injuries. Not many players would thrive in the Nets system right now. A lot of players would decline sharply in their system though and that is exactly what’s been happening with KG.

2. 1historian - Jan 2, 2014 at 1:22 PM

KG and Pierce are both class acts, but they’re also old, and they ain’t getting any younger. This trade with the Celtics is blowing up in NJ’s face a little bit more every day.

There is a possibility that the Celtics will get two lottery picks this year – New Jersey seems to be that bad.

3. antistratfordian - Jan 2, 2014 at 2:42 PM

“Karma’s a b*tch!”

– Ray Allen

4. gquesen - Jan 2, 2014 at 6:40 PM

I know the Nets are a mess. But as a Raider fan, I know how it feels when everyone is pointing out how bad your team is. I feel bad for nets fans. I think it’s gotten to the point where the media is sort of piling on the Nets organization and their fans. However, that said, the Nets basically dug their own grave with the contracts they handed out.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches