Jan 2, 2014, 8:21 PM EDT
Keith Bogans may not be a household name in the NBA, but in recent years he’s become a serviceable veteran that a team could trust on the floor for around 19 minutes per contest.
Bogans appeared in 74 games for the Nets a season ago, and started in 23 of them. He was included in the offseason trade that brought Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett to Brooklyn, however, and his new situation in Boston has him watching the younger players develop from the sidelines.
Bogans has only played in four games with the Celtics, and isn’t at all happy about the way things have played out.
Bogans enjoys his teammates and likes being part of the younger players’ development. He has had a relationship with Rondo since the point guard entered the league due to their University of Kentucky ties and has helped MarShon Brooks since his rookie year on the Nets.
Nonetheless, it is still challenging for him to watch others play knowing his name most likely will not get called.
“It’s tough,” Bogans said. “Game days are my toughest days. At least I’ll get in at practice. I can run up and down the court, play a little bit at practice. But, come on, you’ve been playing basketball for 10 years and just this year they just tell you you’re not playing? I’ve never not played in this league before. This is the first time ever. And it’s not like I’ve wandered into not playing. I’ve just not had the opportunity from day one. … I don’t mind cheering for my teammates. I love those guys, a great group of young guys. I love supporting them and cheering for them, but the fact that I’m not going to get in the game is tough.”
Bogans is being a good teammate through it all, so venting a little bit publicly like this isn’t the end of the world, and it likely won’t be considered so by the organization. He has two more years on his contract at just over $5 million apiece, but neither are guaranteed. If he bides his time this season and stays ready, it’s likely he’ll get his shot next year to sign on and actually play somewhere else.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 65
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 14
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32