Jan 2, 2014, 8:21 PM EDT
Keith Bogans may not be a household name in the NBA, but in recent years he’s become a serviceable veteran that a team could trust on the floor for around 19 minutes per contest.
Bogans appeared in 74 games for the Nets a season ago, and started in 23 of them. He was included in the offseason trade that brought Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett to Brooklyn, however, and his new situation in Boston has him watching the younger players develop from the sidelines.
Bogans has only played in four games with the Celtics, and isn’t at all happy about the way things have played out.
Bogans enjoys his teammates and likes being part of the younger players’ development. He has had a relationship with Rondo since the point guard entered the league due to their University of Kentucky ties and has helped MarShon Brooks since his rookie year on the Nets.
Nonetheless, it is still challenging for him to watch others play knowing his name most likely will not get called.
“It’s tough,” Bogans said. “Game days are my toughest days. At least I’ll get in at practice. I can run up and down the court, play a little bit at practice. But, come on, you’ve been playing basketball for 10 years and just this year they just tell you you’re not playing? I’ve never not played in this league before. This is the first time ever. And it’s not like I’ve wandered into not playing. I’ve just not had the opportunity from day one. … I don’t mind cheering for my teammates. I love those guys, a great group of young guys. I love supporting them and cheering for them, but the fact that I’m not going to get in the game is tough.”
Bogans is being a good teammate through it all, so venting a little bit publicly like this isn’t the end of the world, and it likely won’t be considered so by the organization. He has two more years on his contract at just over $5 million apiece, but neither are guaranteed. If he bides his time this season and stays ready, it’s likely he’ll get his shot next year to sign on and actually play somewhere else.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29