Jan 1, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Finally, some good injury news.
An MRI revealed Cleveland’s Kyrie Irving has only a knee contusion and he is officially day-to-day, reports Brian Windhorst of ESPN.
Considering he had to leave the game and thought he felt a “pop” this is very good news. Especially for the people who have voted Irving an All-Star starter in the East, they still will get him in that showcase.
Cleveland has lost six in a row but because they are in the East they have a legitimate shot at still turning this around and making the playoffs. That would not have happened without Irving in the lineup.
This also keeps the talks of a Pau Gasol/Andrew Bynum trade with the Lakers alive. For Cleveland that deal is about getting inside scoring to make a playoff run, so without Irving what was the point? Still that trade may not happen, the Lakers want more than just Bynum’s cap relief in return and what the other pieces of that trade would be remain the stumbling blocks.
- Report: Phil Jackson’s camp doesn’t believe agreement with Knicks is close 0
- PBT Extra: Can Phil Jackson help right the ship in New York? 8
- Phil Jackson reportedly close to taking Knicks job, nobody asked Carmelo about it 34
- PBT Power Rankings: Tell me again how the Spurs are too old…. 11
- Sunday NBA grades: All hail the unstoppable Jodie Meeks 13