Jan 1, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Finally, some good injury news.
An MRI revealed Cleveland’s Kyrie Irving has only a knee contusion and he is officially day-to-day, reports Brian Windhorst of ESPN.
Considering he had to leave the game and thought he felt a “pop” this is very good news. Especially for the people who have voted Irving an All-Star starter in the East, they still will get him in that showcase.
Cleveland has lost six in a row but because they are in the East they have a legitimate shot at still turning this around and making the playoffs. That would not have happened without Irving in the lineup.
This also keeps the talks of a Pau Gasol/Andrew Bynum trade with the Lakers alive. For Cleveland that deal is about getting inside scoring to make a playoff run, so without Irving what was the point? Still that trade may not happen, the Lakers want more than just Bynum’s cap relief in return and what the other pieces of that trade would be remain the stumbling blocks.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37