Jan 1, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Finally, some good injury news.
An MRI revealed Cleveland’s Kyrie Irving has only a knee contusion and he is officially day-to-day, reports Brian Windhorst of ESPN.
Considering he had to leave the game and thought he felt a “pop” this is very good news. Especially for the people who have voted Irving an All-Star starter in the East, they still will get him in that showcase.
Cleveland has lost six in a row but because they are in the East they have a legitimate shot at still turning this around and making the playoffs. That would not have happened without Irving in the lineup.
This also keeps the talks of a Pau Gasol/Andrew Bynum trade with the Lakers alive. For Cleveland that deal is about getting inside scoring to make a playoff run, so without Irving what was the point? Still that trade may not happen, the Lakers want more than just Bynum’s cap relief in return and what the other pieces of that trade would be remain the stumbling blocks.
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 20
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 9
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 68
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30