Jan 1, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
You see it all the time in the NBA: A point guard comes off a pick and attacks the paint only to find the opposing team’s center there waiting for him cutting off the lane, so the guard pretty much charges into the big man, falls back, flails his arms as he throws up a “shot” and tries to draw a foul.
Is that not flopping?
As the league has pseudo cracked down on flopping (David Stern didn’t think the current fines would do the job) what we see in games now is as much guys on offense trying to sell calls as much as defense.
“They need to clean that up,” says Warriors center Andrew Bogut, whose primary job is to prevent scorers from getting to the rim. “Some guys just look for the body and a way to draw contact and then fall back. That’s not basketball…
“Harden,” Bogut says, “has gotten to a whole other level.”
“It’s unbelievable,” says veteran forward Channing Frye. “It’s just part of the game now. It’s becoming an art.”
And they will continue because it works — they get some calls and there is no real punishment. Flop once (and the league only points out the most egregious cases where there is no question) and you get a warning. Twice and it’s a $5,000 fine. What is that to Harden or CP3?
Players are always looking for an edge, until there is a true deterrent to flopping giving them that edge it will continue.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 33
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 67
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 3
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31