Kyrie Irving set for MRI after feeling a ‘pop’ in his knee during loss to Pacers

Dec 31, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT

It was one of those injuries during a season filled with them that looked as though it might cause Kyrie Irving to miss significant time.

Late in the third quarter of the Pacers’ win over the Cavaliers on Tuesday, Irving’s knee seemed to buckle a bit on a drive to the basket, which caused him to grab for it immediately after he hit the deck. He tried to walk it off, but the pain appeared to get worse, and eventually he was helped to the locker room by two people.

Irving returned to the game, but remember, so did Brook Lopez in the one where he suffered the foot fracture that ended his season. The team has Irving set for an MRI on Wednesday.

From Jason Lloyd of the Akron Beacon Journal:

Kyrie Irving will have an MRI on his ailing left knee Wednesday after he injured it in the third quarter of Tuesday’s 91-76 loss to the Indiana Pacers. He was cleared to return to the court, but Irving said he felt a “pop” in the knee and it still felt weak even after he in the fourth quarter.

“I thought the worst had happened,” Irving said. “My left knee is pretty weak right now. I was falling all over the place. I didn’t have my legs under me.” …

“I’m still hoping that there’s nothing wrong, just something slight, if anything at all,” Irving said. “Just hoping for the best.”

Obviously, that doesn’t sound good.

Irving is averaging career highs this season in points (22.6) and assists (6.1), while playing 35.3 minutes per contest. If a season that began in Cleveland with playoff aspirations wasn’t off the rails after the Andrew Bynum mess, it will be if Irving misses very many games at all with what could be a serious injury.

1. footballpupil - Dec 31, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Hopefully just a sprain it weakens anything I’ve had it in my wrist and thumb, but the way he fell it looked like he tore his ACL.

2. frankgarrett - Dec 31, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Who?

• money2long - Dec 31, 2013 at 8:52 PM

obviously this comment is looking for attention. please ignore this folks. he’s looking for thumbs downs or to ruffle people’s feathers. move along guys.

• dls612 - Dec 31, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Not only you’re a victim of your own warning but I guaranteed you gave him a thumbs down! Cause he ruffled your feathers!

• money2long - Dec 31, 2013 at 10:50 PM

not a victim. i was talking to the people. not him.

• money2long - Dec 31, 2013 at 10:50 PM

and how exactly did my initial comment indicate any of my feathers were ruffled ?

• money2long - Dec 31, 2013 at 10:50 PM

actually, your opinion is irrelevant.

• money2long - Dec 31, 2013 at 10:51 PM

and for those curious, no, i didn’t thumbs him down. in fact, i rarely give thumbs down. i just comment or thumbs up.

• pputnam100 - Jan 1, 2014 at 2:10 AM

Man, this is freaking me out, I’ve gotten to the point where this phenomena of the quickest most explosive players getting terribly hurt has me really bummed out. I can’t believe we will now most likely never get to see what people like Derrick Rose, Westbrook, Rondo could have done. I’m not saying these guys won’t be back and even be effective, but these guys can NOT possibly be what they might have been, it really sucks for the sport. I wonder if “the experts” have an opinion on why this is happening//////

3. pfic15 - Dec 31, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Not again…

4. denverhoopdreams - Dec 31, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I hate to hear this with any player.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we get another ACL/MCL tear or even another torn meniscus.

It’s not that there is really even a trend. You can’t really do anything different to avoid injuries like in the NFL, in most cases in the NBA they just happen.

Hate to see all these stars down, what a fluke season. Hopefully James, or Durant aren’t next.

• pputnam100 - Jan 1, 2014 at 2:13 AM

wel I hear you but there may be something going on here; look, we’re talking Rondo, Westbrook, Rose,. now Irving, four of the absolute best hope for the next great class of greats in the back court, and I tell you, some of them may well still play pretty good, even have great moments, but these injuries all at once like are really going to hurt the game. I hear you, God forbid Durant, LBJ or LOve…

5. ProBasketballPundit - Dec 31, 2013 at 10:05 PM

It’s becoming a war of attrition.. or maybe it always was one. Careers are being made and broken in the wake of these injuries. Personally, I’d prefer it be more like NBA 2K14 so I could turn injuries off.

6. dexterismyhero - Dec 31, 2013 at 10:52 PM

If he heard a pop and told them, why the hell did they let him come back and play?

• money2long - Jan 1, 2014 at 12:38 AM

for the chance he hurts it further and improves their draft stock due to any future absence from their franchise star

7. tdl8 - Jan 1, 2014 at 6:12 AM

Is Mike shannahan the coach?! Because he is the only coach I have ever heard of that will let a player back out when there is a good chance of a significant injury! This is career changing stuff and Irving should have been sent to the locker room immediately!

8. jhop86 - Jan 1, 2014 at 4:25 PM

The next D rose… I wish a full recovery by the both of them

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches