Dec 31, 2013, 8:00 PM EST
Late in the third quarter of the Pacers’ win over the Cavaliers on Tuesday, Irving’s knee seemed to buckle a bit on a drive to the basket, which caused him to grab for it immediately after he hit the deck. He tried to walk it off, but the pain appeared to get worse, and eventually he was helped to the locker room by two people.
Irving returned to the game, but remember, so did Brook Lopez in the one where he suffered the foot fracture that ended his season. The team has Irving set for an MRI on Wednesday.
Kyrie Irving will have an MRI on his ailing left knee Wednesday after he injured it in the third quarter of Tuesday’s 91-76 loss to the Indiana Pacers. He was cleared to return to the court, but Irving said he felt a “pop” in the knee and it still felt weak even after he in the fourth quarter.
“I thought the worst had happened,” Irving said. “My left knee is pretty weak right now. I was falling all over the place. I didn’t have my legs under me.” …
“I’m still hoping that there’s nothing wrong, just something slight, if anything at all,” Irving said. “Just hoping for the best.”
Obviously, that doesn’t sound good.
Irving is averaging career highs this season in points (22.6) and assists (6.1), while playing 35.3 minutes per contest. If a season that began in Cleveland with playoff aspirations wasn’t off the rails after the Andrew Bynum mess, it will be if Irving misses very many games at all with what could be a serious injury.
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 5
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 9
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 54
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8
- Andrei Kirilenko leaves Nets for road trip, Lionel Hollins unsure if he’ll return 14
- Report: Danny Ainge telling other teams he won’t trade Rajon Rondo 13