Dec 31, 2013, 8:00 PM EST
Late in the third quarter of the Pacers’ win over the Cavaliers on Tuesday, Irving’s knee seemed to buckle a bit on a drive to the basket, which caused him to grab for it immediately after he hit the deck. He tried to walk it off, but the pain appeared to get worse, and eventually he was helped to the locker room by two people.
Irving returned to the game, but remember, so did Brook Lopez in the one where he suffered the foot fracture that ended his season. The team has Irving set for an MRI on Wednesday.
Kyrie Irving will have an MRI on his ailing left knee Wednesday after he injured it in the third quarter of Tuesday’s 91-76 loss to the Indiana Pacers. He was cleared to return to the court, but Irving said he felt a “pop” in the knee and it still felt weak even after he in the fourth quarter.
“I thought the worst had happened,” Irving said. “My left knee is pretty weak right now. I was falling all over the place. I didn’t have my legs under me.” …
“I’m still hoping that there’s nothing wrong, just something slight, if anything at all,” Irving said. “Just hoping for the best.”
Obviously, that doesn’t sound good.
Irving is averaging career highs this season in points (22.6) and assists (6.1), while playing 35.3 minutes per contest. If a season that began in Cleveland with playoff aspirations wasn’t off the rails after the Andrew Bynum mess, it will be if Irving misses very many games at all with what could be a serious injury.
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 6
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 16
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 16
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 30
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 24
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6