Dec 31, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
Late in the third quarter of the Pacers’ win over the Cavaliers on Tuesday, Irving’s knee seemed to buckle a bit on a drive to the basket, which caused him to grab for it immediately after he hit the deck. He tried to walk it off, but the pain appeared to get worse, and eventually he was helped to the locker room by two people.
Irving returned to the game, but remember, so did Brook Lopez in the one where he suffered the foot fracture that ended his season. The team has Irving set for an MRI on Wednesday.
Kyrie Irving will have an MRI on his ailing left knee Wednesday after he injured it in the third quarter of Tuesday’s 91-76 loss to the Indiana Pacers. He was cleared to return to the court, but Irving said he felt a “pop” in the knee and it still felt weak even after he in the fourth quarter.
“I thought the worst had happened,” Irving said. “My left knee is pretty weak right now. I was falling all over the place. I didn’t have my legs under me.” …
“I’m still hoping that there’s nothing wrong, just something slight, if anything at all,” Irving said. “Just hoping for the best.”
Obviously, that doesn’t sound good.
Irving is averaging career highs this season in points (22.6) and assists (6.1), while playing 35.3 minutes per contest. If a season that began in Cleveland with playoff aspirations wasn’t off the rails after the Andrew Bynum mess, it will be if Irving misses very many games at all with what could be a serious injury.
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 15
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 26
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9