Kevin Love doesn’t get call from refs on final shot, Adelman ticked about it (VIDEO)

Dec 31, 2013, 12:42 AM EDT

Timberwolves’ coach Rick Adelman is going to get fined for these comments regarding Kevin Love‘s shot attempt on the final play of the Timberwolves’ loss to Dallas, via the Associated Press. I also don’t think he cares.

“He got fouled. I just wonder what that would have been if (Dirk) Nowitzki, LeBron James, all the top players in the league. … A guy reaches in on a last-second shot like that instead of challenging it. … Maybe they don’t understand Kevin is one of the top five players in the league.”

That is Adelman trying to get a future call and he is willing to write a check to do it.

I think this is a lot more of a borderline call than the Minnesota announcing crew. Watch the play and it looks like Marion gets some hand with the ball, but remember this explanation of “incidental contact” from the league:

The hand is considered “ part of the ball” when it is in contact with the ball and contact with a players hand when it is in contact with the ball is not a foul.

The question is not does Marion get any hand, it is does he get any arm? Dallas coach Rick Carlisle said no, but what do you expect him to say?

From the higher up camera angle it certainly looks like Marion commits a foul, but from the ground level camera to me it looks like a closer call.

Adelman’s question is a valid one — does LeBron or Kobe Bryant or Kevin Durant get that call?

The only answer I am sure about is that Adelman is going to go get fined.

1. eventhorizon04 - Dec 31, 2013 at 12:57 AM

At around 0:45 in the video, you can see that Marion swung his hand forward, and his hand landed right onto Love’s hand, which was on the ball.

I always THOUGHT that counted as a foul, but reading the rule, I guess maybe not since the hand Marion hit was definitely in contact with the ball at the time?

• eventhorizon04 - Dec 31, 2013 at 12:58 AM

I think it’s one of those situations where, based on the official definition, it was a correct no-call, BUT I think we’ve all seen fouls called in similar situations in the past because most referees blow their whistles when they see contact like that.

• albertmn - Dec 31, 2013 at 1:05 PM

But, if the defender hits hand first and then gets the forearm as well, I don’t think the rule about the hand would apply. He definitely got forearm, and it wasn’t that close.

• urodaddy07 - Dec 31, 2013 at 5:59 PM

You obviously are not looking at the same video I am

2. pbtunpaidwriter - Dec 31, 2013 at 1:11 AM

@eventhorizon04: Correct no call? That’s a definite foul no 2 things about it. What’s wrong with you?

Good thing Kevin’s a good dude and just smiled. Any other player would have killed the ref after such a blatant no call.

• sunlightpianist - Dec 31, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I would have whistled the foul, but with an image of the first contact it is not so clear, at least understandable that refs can’t decide in real time what is contact with “hand on ball” or contact resulting from following motion.

Refs were not one-sided, there were other calls going for the Wolves, Nowitzki hitting Loves “hand on ball” or forearm during a pass, which was ruled as a shooting foul and Love got 3 free-throws.

3. pbtunpaidwriter - Dec 31, 2013 at 1:13 AM

LMAO @ “phantom cam” – aka the phantom refs who can’t see anything

4. 1972wasalongtimeago - Dec 31, 2013 at 1:33 AM

I hope Mark Cuban now understands that the league isn’t really out to get him.

• albertmn - Dec 31, 2013 at 1:06 PM

True, if Cuban really wanted to drive home his long time argument, he would argue this call as well, even though it helped his team.

5. antistratfordian - Dec 31, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Now that is a no-call that fans can be angry about. To me, it looks like Marion got mostly forearm. Basically a classic hack. I don’t see the “hand is considered part of the ball” language coming into play here.

But I’m glad this happened, for this contrast and lesson: Complaining about a no-call arm hack is understandable, but LeBron’s hand resting on Paul George’s hip was not something to whine about.

6. timberwolvesbrisin - Dec 31, 2013 at 1:36 AM

I was there, it was beyond atrocious. last year the league admitted they blew two calls against the wolves in end of the game situations. One was by Ed Malloy, the idiot that blew it tonight. I’m crushed.

7. bbk1000 - Dec 31, 2013 at 6:09 AM

It was a foul, no doubt.

The NBA is the easiest league for the referees to directly affect the outcome of the game as you could call an infraction on every play. I think they steer the games however they’re instructed.

The rules are written allowing the refs to do as they please all the while giving the top brass plausible deniability.

It’s just an opinion so I could be wrong.

8. cheathamhouse1 - Dec 31, 2013 at 6:43 AM

I agree that other players like Lebron etc. would’ve got that call. However, with the Wolves limited level of athleticism, they need a more balance offensive attack to win games…you know team ball. Rubio only took 3 shots…3! while KL took 24. Rubio is not even looking to shoot now. Is he just doing what his coach told him? It’s almost like teams are hustling the Wolves by playing “ok” D during the game, staying close, and then tighten down on Love in the final seconds to force a bad shot (in this case they fouled him, though). The wolves should be that kind of team where a different guy steps up on different nights. Oh well.

• unxpexted1 - Dec 31, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Maybe Rubio only took 3 shots because you know…..he can’t score

9. whatsitlikehere - Dec 31, 2013 at 8:25 AM

He didn’t hit his hand he grabbed his arm and pulled down!

• dabceb - Dec 31, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Saw the game with several views… Marion jabbed (I.e. slapped) at the ball hitting Love’s hand. Marion didn’t have time to pull his arm down like you’re saying, otherwise Love would have got the call easily with two refs being close enough to make a call.

I believe @eventhorizon04’s thoughts are correct, Love was getting calls throughout the game…

10. longtallsam - Dec 31, 2013 at 9:24 AM

While I have always known that the hand is part of the ball, he pretty much got everything from hand to elbow on that one.

11. monkeyhateclean - Dec 31, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Yeah, that was pretty clearly a foul, but the refs ain’t gonna blow the whistle in the final seconds of a game.

They could pass out baseball bats to the players and them them go to town on each other in the last 5 seconds of games, nothing’s going to get called.

12. kinglorious - Dec 31, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Straight bs. That was a damn foul. After the recent issue with Griffin, this just adds fuel to the fire. I hate how NO ONE that is directly effected by the poor officiating can say anything about how terrible it is otherwise they’re fined. Players can’t even speak their minds on twitter otherwise they can get fined but refs can make blatant mistakes and nothing happens…where the hell is the accountability?

13. dabceb - Dec 31, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I watched the game and Love received a truly bogus call earlier from the same ref….. So what goes around, comes around. Love had a great, great game regardless.

14. urodaddy07 - Dec 31, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Well i must be seeing things. That looks like a whole lot of forearm to me. He may have hit his hand, but he definitely got forearm

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches