Dec 31, 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
This is the kind of story we like to end our year on…
Charvis Brewer is an 8-year-old boy battling cerebral palsy, which has confined him to a wheelchair, still he has the same dream a lot of us did growning up — to be drafted by his hometown NBA team. In his case, the Memphis Grizzlies.
Last week the Grizzlies made that come true, as reported at Today.
Working with the Make-a-Wish Foundation Brewer was drafted by the team, went through a mock press conference, went into the locker room, had a team meal and more.
Mike Conley, a guard for the Grizzlies and a favorite player of Charvis’, joined the festivities with a jersey made for the team’s newest member. A limousine then ferried the Brewers to the basketball arena where the players awaited Charvis’ arrival.
The whirlwind included eating lunch with the team, watching practice, visiting the weight room and quizzing the players about basketball.
“So we need to work on our free-throws and 3-point shooting,” said Head Coach Dave Joerger.
Right away, Charvis made it known who the man in practice is by making decisions and blowing the whistle he got from Z-Bo.
“I like this guy! You’re a good coach!” said Mike Miller.
Monday night Brewer attended the Grizzlies loss to the Bulls and watch from box seats. More importantly, he got to feel like part of the team.
Here are a couple more photos from Brewer’s special day.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 11
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 37
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 49
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 17
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 9
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11