Dec 31, 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
This is the kind of story we like to end our year on…
Charvis Brewer is an 8-year-old boy battling cerebral palsy, which has confined him to a wheelchair, still he has the same dream a lot of us did growning up — to be drafted by his hometown NBA team. In his case, the Memphis Grizzlies.
Last week the Grizzlies made that come true, as reported at Today.
Working with the Make-a-Wish Foundation Brewer was drafted by the team, went through a mock press conference, went into the locker room, had a team meal and more.
Mike Conley, a guard for the Grizzlies and a favorite player of Charvis’, joined the festivities with a jersey made for the team’s newest member. A limousine then ferried the Brewers to the basketball arena where the players awaited Charvis’ arrival.
The whirlwind included eating lunch with the team, watching practice, visiting the weight room and quizzing the players about basketball.
“So we need to work on our free-throws and 3-point shooting,” said Head Coach Dave Joerger.
Right away, Charvis made it known who the man in practice is by making decisions and blowing the whistle he got from Z-Bo.
“I like this guy! You’re a good coach!” said Mike Miller.
Monday night Brewer attended the Grizzlies loss to the Bulls and watch from box seats. More importantly, he got to feel like part of the team.
Here are a couple more photos from Brewer’s special day.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 0
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 28
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 17
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 42
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 15
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6