Final post of 2013 is most memorable play of 2013: It can only be Ray Allen

Dec 31, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT

Could it really be anything else?

If we are talking about one play that we will be talking about a decade, two decades from now it will be Ray Allen‘s step back corner three that sent Game 6 of the NBA Finals to overtime. There was a lot that led up to it (including the painful missed free throws for the Spurs) but this was the shot that kept Miami’s title hopes alive, if this doesn’t fall there is a parade down the river in San Antonio. Miami doesn’t win back-to-back titles without this shot, LeBron James‘ reputation looks a little different in some eyes without this shot.

For all Ray Allen has done over his Hall of Fame career, this will be a defining shot for him.

Of course, I was tempted to make this Gerald Henderson pass the play of the year…

1. roarfrom384 - Dec 31, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Travel.

• Kurt Helin - Jan 1, 2014 at 11:30 AM

No, it wasn’t. NBA allows by rule a “gather then two steps” and he does that. Rick Barry is wrong. Again.

• eventhorizon04 - Jan 1, 2014 at 12:19 PM

As Kurt said, they changed the rules to allow 2 steps:

2. sellahh - Dec 31, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Not even a Spurs fan, but I’ll never watch this play again. I’ve seen it maybe 2-3 times when it’s been forced upon me during NBA commercials. Other than that I always mute my headphones whenever I start to hear the announcing.
    That’s how bad it was.

• pbtunpaidwriter - Jan 1, 2014 at 12:54 AM

What a troll you are. Get outta here.

• sellahh - Jan 1, 2014 at 2:04 PM

That’s how bad this play hurt, I should have said. To even consider this trolling, great job.

3. wupsumskul - Dec 31, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Absolutely hilarious. That pass was amazing. I could watch it over and over. But yea ray ray has accomplished topping Reggie miller and has been amazing his whole career. First ballet hall of famer. Dudes like Jesus

4. dolphindubs - Dec 31, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Thats why he came to Miami, and thats why we wanted him here in Miami.

I still get chills.

5. ProBasketballPundit - Dec 31, 2013 at 11:52 PM

I hope Ray Allen never retires. Maybe he’ll only play 5 minutes a game during the 2017 season, but I have a feeling those will be 5 super clutch minutes.

• soopreme - Jan 1, 2014 at 1:48 PM

I would bet that Ray could play into his early 40s, and he would still pull a defender with him out to the 3 pt line. I

6. pkthemisundastood - Jan 1, 2014 at 12:36 AM

Reblogged this on The Life & Times of PK The Misundastood and commented:
    The shot of the decade, if I do say so myself. And the shot that allowed my Miami Heat to win another championship!

7. pbtunpaidwriter - Jan 1, 2014 at 12:53 AM

Ray Allen possibly hit the clutchest shot in NBA history.

Until someone hits a buzzer beater in Game 7 of the Finals to win the championship, this will be the greatest shot I’ve ever seen.

Clutch aint fair.

• antistratfordian - Jan 1, 2014 at 8:40 AM

I don’t know about that – the shot only tied the game. LeBron still had to hit Miami’s last bucket in overtime for the Heat to win. And James still had to dominate Game 7 to make Allen’s shot a memorable one and not a waste.

In 1998 Michael Jordan also hit a shot at the end of a finals Game 6 with 5.2 seconds left – the difference though was Jordan’s shot gave the Bulls the lead and was the last FG of the season. It wasn’t just a game winner – it was a season winner, and at the time a career winner. It didn’t need further assistance to make it special. So I’d probably go with that one.

8. davidly - Jan 1, 2014 at 6:20 AM

Most memorable assist goes to Pop for sitting the Big Fundamental so he’d be rested for the next possession.

9. shanelsweet - Jan 1, 2014 at 7:50 AM

hahahahaha. Pass of the Year.

10. antistratfordian - Jan 1, 2014 at 8:20 AM

“Miami doesn’t win back-to-back titles without this shot, LeBron James‘ reputation looks a little different in some eyes without this shot.”

Well that is just speculation. It’s not like the shot was a buzzer beater – there was still 5.2 seconds left after Allen made the shot. There was even enough time for Parker to go baseline to baseline to attempt a game winner. So seeing as LeBron hit a three off a Mike Miller offensive rebound just seconds before that – I don’t see why it couldn’t have happened again if Allen missed.

But okay, if you’re going to speculate and say that Miami definitely would’ve lost if Allen missed, then I can do the same – LeBron’s reputation would look a little different if Allen missed the shot, Miami got the rebound and kicked it back out to James who tied the game at the buzzer.

In any case, the story of Game 6 is LeBron’s 32-11-10 triple double with 16 points, 4 rebounds and 4 assists coming in the 4th and OT. #TheHeadbandGame

11. jacobk621 - Jan 1, 2014 at 8:28 AM

How about Jordan’s shot vs the jazz to win it all !!

• davidly - Jan 1, 2014 at 5:10 PM

When you combine it with his stealing the ball from Malone down low just before that, it’s double-clutch.

12. danmarinos1stlovechild - Jan 1, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Gerald Henderson- WTF was that?!? LMAO!!!

13. jhop86 - Jan 1, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Great shot… Still a TRAVEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Coming from a MAVs fan

• buffalowned - Jan 1, 2014 at 10:54 PM

A Mav’s fan thinks that was a travel? shocking

14. lemfaxx - Jan 1, 2014 at 4:33 PM

REMATCH!!!

15. 00maltliquor - Jan 1, 2014 at 10:10 PM

That Henderson pass gets me every time!!! LOL

16. 00maltliquor - Jan 1, 2014 at 10:14 PM

FATALITY **Mortal Kombat voice**

17. bbgraf08 - Jan 2, 2014 at 8:40 AM

It was a travel and how does Kurt Helin have this job?

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches