Dec 31, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
Could it really be anything else?
If we are talking about one play that we will be talking about a decade, two decades from now it will be Ray Allen‘s step back corner three that sent Game 6 of the NBA Finals to overtime. There was a lot that led up to it (including the painful missed free throws for the Spurs) but this was the shot that kept Miami’s title hopes alive, if this doesn’t fall there is a parade down the river in San Antonio. Miami doesn’t win back-to-back titles without this shot, LeBron James‘ reputation looks a little different in some eyes without this shot.
For all Ray Allen has done over his Hall of Fame career, this will be a defining shot for him.
Of course, I was tempted to make this Gerald Henderson pass the play of the year…
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29