Dec 30, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
When people talk about the free agent class of 2015, it is called the “Kevin Love” class as many around the league think/hope they have a shot at the power forward. However, there are some other quality players in that class…
Like Tony Parker. The Spurs have set it up so Tiago Splitter and Kawhi Leonard (after his coming contract extension) are the only guys on the books that summer. Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili likely retire and the Spurs have cleared the books for a rebuild. That might even be when Gregg Popovich decides to get out of basketball and into the wine business.
Parker will be 33 that summer, not young but he is playing at an elite level right now. An ESPN report said the Knicks had Parker on their radar for 2015 when they have cap space.
Would Parker go to the Knicks? He told the Express-News his preference is to stay in San Antonio, but he’s not closing any doors two years in advance.
“If I can yeah”, Parker told the San Antonio Express-News. “The history here, they always take care of the guys. They did it with [Tim Duncan] and Manu [Ginobili], so hopefully they take care of me. At the end of this year they have to guarantee my year after, so, technically, maybe, I’ll be a free agent this summer.”
There is next to zero chance of that. The Spurs want to go one more season after this one with their core of Duncan/Parker/Ginobili/Leonard — a core that came within a rebound of winning the NBA title last year — then start to rebuild.
However, after that who knows what happens.
“I want to stay positive,” Parker said, “but if it doesn’t work out, then it doesn’t work out. My wish is to stay here and play my whole career here, but if there is no more Pop or Timmy or Manu, I’m not against going somewhere. I’m not against that.”
Just know if he is a free agent a lot more teams than just the Knicks will have interest.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 29
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 31
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18