Tony Parker would like to stay with Spurs in 2015, but we’ll see what happens

Dec 30, 2013, 11:00 AM EST

San Antonio Spurs  v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

When people talk about the free agent class of 2015, it is called the “Kevin Love” class as many around the league think/hope they have a shot at the power forward. However, there are some other quality players in that class…

Like Tony Parker. The Spurs have set it up so Tiago Splitter and Kawhi Leonard (after his coming contract extension) are the only guys on the books that summer. Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili likely retire and the Spurs have cleared the books for a rebuild. That might even be when Gregg Popovich decides to get out of basketball and into the wine business.

Parker will be 33 that summer, not young but he is playing at an elite level right now. An ESPN report said the Knicks had Parker on their radar for 2015 when they have cap space.

Would Parker go to the Knicks? He told the Express-News his preference is to stay in San Antonio, but he’s not closing any doors two years in advance.

“If I can yeah”, Parker told the San Antonio Express-News. “The history here, they always take care of the guys. They did it with [Tim Duncan] and Manu [Ginobili], so hopefully they take care of me. At the end of this year they have to guarantee my year after, so, technically, maybe, I’ll be a free agent this summer.”

There is next to zero chance of that. The Spurs want to go one more season after this one with their core of Duncan/Parker/Ginobili/Leonard — a core that came within a rebound of winning the NBA title last year — then start to rebuild.

However, after that who knows what happens.

“I want to stay positive,” Parker said, “but if it doesn’t work out, then it doesn’t work out. My wish is to stay here and play my whole career here, but if there is no more Pop or Timmy or Manu, I’m not against going somewhere. I’m not against that.”

Just know if he is a free agent a lot more teams than just the Knicks will have interest.

1. redbaronx - Dec 30, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I wouldn’t be surprised if they try to resign Parker in 2015 on a reduced contract that takes his age into consideration. Duncan resigned for less, and I think smart players reaching the end of their careers know they aren’t contributing as much as they once did, and appreciate having a better roster around them.

Guys like Kobe on the other hand go in the opposite direction and think it’s all about them. If Kobe really wanted another ring he would have taken a more modest contract. There’s nothing wrong with wanting money, but I think guys that are truly in it to win who have been max players and don’t need the money will do what Duncan did. I see Parker as one of those guys that is more interested in the ring.

• zerole00 - Dec 30, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I’m sure Parker will give them the discount because that’s how good a relationship the Spurs have with their players, but make no mistake that Parker is a max contract player. He’s easily a top 5 PG in the NBA and remember, Pop manages the minutes of his players well. He’s a “young” 33.

• redbaronx - Dec 31, 2013 at 4:02 PM

@zerole00 – I don’t get where you think he’s a “young” 33. First of all let’s start with the fact that he’s 31, not 33.

Secondly, Parker has been playing for the Spurs since he was 17, plus playing heavy minutes for the French National team. He’s logged a lot of minutes.

Third, Parker is a great player and I don’t dispute that he’s a top 5 PG in the league in my opinion, but there are plenty of people on PBT and elsewhere that would not put him in the top 5 guards in the league. What I do dispute is the notion that he’s a max contract player now, and certainly in another two years when he’s pushing 34. Guards are rarely effective beyond the age of 33/34, and you have to remember that Parker’s game relies a great deal on quickness which is sure to diminish when we talk about this again in 2015.

• zoomy123 - Dec 30, 2013 at 8:11 PM

People like you really annoy me. You say things like, “There’s nothing wrong with wanting money” and then right after that say, “[B]ut I think guys that are truly in it to win who have been max players and don’t need the money will do what Duncan did.” So, you’re basically saying there’s nothing wrong with wanting more money…except wanting more money. Kobe Bryant doesn’t have to give the Lakers a discount and he’s entitled to every cent he can get in negotiations. This is business. And in all honesty Kobe is probably worth more than the $23.5-25 M he’s being paid.

• zerole00 - Dec 31, 2013 at 2:26 AM

Kobe’s definitely worth more than his new contract, but the point is that contract was about business – not competition. Those are two entirely different scenarios, and I believe why people are ticked with Kobe is that by signing that contract it pretty much guarantees that the Lakers can’t legitimately compete for a championship.

They traded away 2 first round picks and 2 second round picks for Nash, they have no young players for Kobe to pass the torch to in a couple years, and his contract was pretty much the nail in the coffin of them building a contender through free agency. Him taking a “discount” was the only chance the Lakers had, even if it was a long one.

• redbaronx - Dec 31, 2013 at 4:07 PM

@zoomy123 – People like you really annoy me! You entirely missed the point! My point was that Kobe deserves the money, but if he really wanted to win another ring he would have taken less money. I never said he didn’t deserve it. My point was that we can see who really wants another ring. Duncan put himself in that position. The Lakers won’t be sniffing another ring during Kobe’s new contract. That’s the point!

2. zerole00 - Dec 30, 2013 at 2:38 PM

The Spurs don’t rebuild, they reload. You just said so yourself they have Splitter and Leonard primed to be part of their next “big 3.”

3. 00maltliquor - Dec 31, 2013 at 12:17 AM

LOOOL @ Splitter being a part of ANY big 3^

I’m dead!

• redbaronx - Dec 31, 2013 at 4:11 PM

@00maltliquor – You know better than that! The dude was really referring to Leonard. Splitter is just a good piece that got thrown in there with his comment.

• 00maltliquor - Dec 31, 2013 at 4:55 PM

LOOOL @ Splitter being a good piece! I’m in tears :*-D

• redbaronx - Dec 31, 2013 at 5:02 PM

00maltliquor – Stop with the crying antics….Splitter is not Andre Blatche. Splitter starts on most teams in the NBA. He’s not a franchise cornerstone, but he’s a good player that teams like the Spurs could use to round out their roster.

Leonard on the other hand is definitely something the Spurs can build on.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches