Dec 30, 2013, 1:43 PM EDT
This tweet has Tony Parker in the middle of an anti-Semitic controversy.
The guy on the right in that photo is obviously Parker. The guy on the left is controversial French comedian Dieudonne M’Bala M’Bala who invented the gesture they are doing, called the “quenelle.”
What is the quenelle? Let the BBC explain it all to you because they can do it better than I:
The gesture involves touching or gripping your shoulder with one hand while holding the palm of your other hand outstretched and pointing to the ground. Some describe it as a combination of the bras d’honneur with a bent arm (which means “up yours”) and the Nazi salute…
Dieudonne made the gesture when he headed his own anti-Zionist campaign in the European elections in 2009. French media trace it further back, to one of his performances in 2005. It came to greater prominence in September when two soldiers were photographed appearing to make the gesture outside a Paris synagogue.
The story goes on to say a lot of French youth have adopted the gesture of the popular right-wing French comedian but seem oblivious to the anti-Semitic meanings. The gesture created a lot of controversy in Europe and it has reached into sports before as a French-born West Bromwich player in the Barclays Premiere league used it and created a firestorm.
All that is not lost on people here in the states and they asked for an apology from Parker, as reported in the New York Daily News.
They got it, reports Jeff McDonald of the San Antonio Express-News:
“While this gesture has been part of French culture for many years, it was not until recently that I learned of the very negative concerns associated with it.”
Parker goes on to apologize and say he will never use it again and hopes to spread the word about what is really behind the gesture.
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30