Dec 30, 2013, 3:10 AM EDT
Our quick look around the NBA, or what you missed while watching the Dallas Cowboys miss the playoffs again…
Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City Thunder. With Russell Westbrook out a whole lot more scoring load falls on Durant’s shoulders — and he answered against a tired Rockets team. Durant had 31 points on 11-17 shooting, 13 rebounds, and chipped in five assists. Durant is going to be the guy with the ball,
But Durant will need some help, which brings us to…
Jeremy Lamb, Oklahoma City Thunder. He finished with 22 points on 8-of-10 shooting. You can say the Thunder need more nights like that from Lamb with Westbrook out, but the reality is they most need this kind of performance from him once the playoffs start — they need a reliable third scoring option and Lamb looked like it Sunday a
Stephen Curry, Golden State Warriors. If you just look at the numbers you see a near triple double — 29 points, 11 assists and 9 rebounds. What it doesn’t tell you is he had 24 points in the first half and then came out after the break and went 1-for-11 shooting. But the green light never goes off for Curry, so in OT with the Warriors up two, Curry dribbled left and hit the leaner going left for the dagger. It’s what shooters do.
Philadelphia veterans Thaddeus Young, Spencer Hawes, Evan Turner. A lot of players could have known their team was rebuilding and just packed it in early, but credit these veterans for still bringing it — and Sunday night getting the Sixers a win. Young scored 25 and had 9 rebounds; Spencer Hawes poured in 19 points, grabbed 8 rebounds and had 5 assists; and Evan Turner scored 22 points with 10 of those in the fourth quarter.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 14
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 10
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 8
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25