Dec 30, 2013, 6:34 PM EDT
The Toronto Raptors are rethinking the Raptors brand — new colors, new logo new everything… well except for the name. Because the Raptor lived in Mongolia and only got to be the team mascot because of the popularity of the “Jurassic Park” movies. Wouldn’t want to tamper with that. Because it’s so Canada.
Anyway, as part of the rebranding the Raptors are looking at potential new color schemes. Including Black and gold, reports Doug Smith at the Toronto Sun.
Now, I’m not suggesting it’s a done deal and a lot of different people and companies are coming up with a lot of different looks and styles but I was told on the weekend that black and gold is definitely something being considered.
Remember Drake is a “global ambassador” of the Raptors (whatever that means) and is working with them on the new look. Now go look at the logo’s and colors around Drake’s “October’s Very Own” — black with gold. Ryan Wolstat of the Toronto Sun said these two things are related. We are not stunned.
It seems gimmicky to go this direction as anything other than the rare alternate jersey. Also, Smith makes a good point.
And I would suggest that if one of Tim Leiweke’s great plans is to have the Raptors become “Canada’s team” that going away from red and white doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.
If you really want to change the Raptors image it all comes down to one thing: Winning. Everything else is secondary.
That said, the rebranding will be in place for the 2015-16 season, when Toronto will host the All-Star Game.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 41
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 4
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 8
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5