Dec 30, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
And if you had any hope in Atlanta of everything coming together just in time for the playoffs… sorry.
Center and team MVP Al Horford will have surgery on his torn pectoral muscle ending his season, reports Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo Sports. Horford was expected to miss most of the season, this simply makes it a formality.
This just sucks for basketball fans for a few reasons. One is the Hawks were one of only three teams in the East over .500. Now the third best team in the East falls apart.
Another is Horford had been playing the best ball of his career this season. He was averaging 18.6 points a game on 56.7 percent shooting (he has a true shooting percentage of 58.8 percent) and he grabbed 8.4 rebounds a game. Horford and Paul Millsap formed an undersized but strong front line.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 7
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50