Dec 30, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
And if you had any hope in Atlanta of everything coming together just in time for the playoffs… sorry.
Center and team MVP Al Horford will have surgery on his torn pectoral muscle ending his season, reports Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo Sports. Horford was expected to miss most of the season, this simply makes it a formality.
This just sucks for basketball fans for a few reasons. One is the Hawks were one of only three teams in the East over .500. Now the third best team in the East falls apart.
Another is Horford had been playing the best ball of his career this season. He was averaging 18.6 points a game on 56.7 percent shooting (he has a true shooting percentage of 58.8 percent) and he grabbed 8.4 rebounds a game. Horford and Paul Millsap formed an undersized but strong front line.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 0
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 8
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 9
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 20
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15