Dec 30, 2013, 8:10 PM EST
And if you had any hope in Atlanta of everything coming together just in time for the playoffs… sorry.
Center and team MVP Al Horford will have surgery on his torn pectoral muscle ending his season, reports Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo Sports. Horford was expected to miss most of the season, this simply makes it a formality.
This just sucks for basketball fans for a few reasons. One is the Hawks were one of only three teams in the East over .500. Now the third best team in the East falls apart.
Another is Horford had been playing the best ball of his career this season. He was averaging 18.6 points a game on 56.7 percent shooting (he has a true shooting percentage of 58.8 percent) and he grabbed 8.4 rebounds a game. Horford and Paul Millsap formed an undersized but strong front line.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 63
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13