Dec 30, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
And if you had any hope in Atlanta of everything coming together just in time for the playoffs… sorry.
Center and team MVP Al Horford will have surgery on his torn pectoral muscle ending his season, reports Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo Sports. Horford was expected to miss most of the season, this simply makes it a formality.
This just sucks for basketball fans for a few reasons. One is the Hawks were one of only three teams in the East over .500. Now the third best team in the East falls apart.
Another is Horford had been playing the best ball of his career this season. He was averaging 18.6 points a game on 56.7 percent shooting (he has a true shooting percentage of 58.8 percent) and he grabbed 8.4 rebounds a game. Horford and Paul Millsap formed an undersized but strong front line.
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 16
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 9
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61