Dec 30, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
And if you had any hope in Atlanta of everything coming together just in time for the playoffs… sorry.
Center and team MVP Al Horford will have surgery on his torn pectoral muscle ending his season, reports Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo Sports. Horford was expected to miss most of the season, this simply makes it a formality.
This just sucks for basketball fans for a few reasons. One is the Hawks were one of only three teams in the East over .500. Now the third best team in the East falls apart.
Another is Horford had been playing the best ball of his career this season. He was averaging 18.6 points a game on 56.7 percent shooting (he has a true shooting percentage of 58.8 percent) and he grabbed 8.4 rebounds a game. Horford and Paul Millsap formed an undersized but strong front line.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 19
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 8
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25