Dec 29, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Bradley Beal made a game-winning layup against the Knicks a couple weeks ago, because the Knicks are inept.
The Knicks’ embarrassing defense had more impact on the play than anything Beal did.
But the Wizards couldn’t count on New York screwing up – well, maybe they could’ve. Regardless, the Wizards had a play drawn up in case the Knicks didn’t part like the Red Sea to allow Beal an easy lane for a layup.
Watch Beal’s game-winner again:
Marcin Gortat is coming over to screen for Beal, a good move for the Wizards when the need a basket. Gortat screening for Beal a great part of any play, and Beal is happy to share credit.
“I give a lot of credit to March. He screens his butt off,” Beal said of Gortat, who is 6-11 and 240 pounds. “He makes life easier for you. He gets you open when you need to.”
“When he tells you to shoot the ball, you better shoot the ball,” Beal said. “You have to love a big like that that’s willing to get guys open, willing to do all the little things for the team to help us win.”
The numbers completely support Beal’s perception. He shoots much better when Gortat is on the court.When Beal and Gortat share the court, the Wizards offensive rating is 108.1 – a mark that would rank third in the NBA, behind just the Trail Blazers and Heat, over the full season.
Safe to say, the Wizards will keep using those two in tandem.
- Report: LeBron ‘will look at’ Knicks in free agency now that Phil Jackson is in place 40
- Nets announce signing of Jason Collins for remainder of the season 11
- Phil Jackson to Knicks could work. It probably won’t, but it could. 29
- Pau Gasol says Kobe was right to rip Lakers front office 41
- It’s confirmed: Phil Jackson returns to Knicks to head up front office, revive franchise 33