Dec 29, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Bradley Beal made a game-winning layup against the Knicks a couple weeks ago, because the Knicks are inept.
The Knicks’ embarrassing defense had more impact on the play than anything Beal did.
But the Wizards couldn’t count on New York screwing up – well, maybe they could’ve. Regardless, the Wizards had a play drawn up in case the Knicks didn’t part like the Red Sea to allow Beal an easy lane for a layup.
Watch Beal’s game-winner again:
Marcin Gortat is coming over to screen for Beal, a good move for the Wizards when the need a basket. Gortat screening for Beal a great part of any play, and Beal is happy to share credit.
“I give a lot of credit to March. He screens his butt off,” Beal said of Gortat, who is 6-11 and 240 pounds. “He makes life easier for you. He gets you open when you need to.”
“When he tells you to shoot the ball, you better shoot the ball,” Beal said. “You have to love a big like that that’s willing to get guys open, willing to do all the little things for the team to help us win.”
The numbers completely support Beal’s perception. He shoots much better when Gortat is on the court.When Beal and Gortat share the court, the Wizards offensive rating is 108.1 – a mark that would rank third in the NBA, behind just the Trail Blazers and Heat, over the full season.
Safe to say, the Wizards will keep using those two in tandem.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 10
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 19
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14