Dec 29, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Bradley Beal made a game-winning layup against the Knicks a couple weeks ago, because the Knicks are inept.
The Knicks’ embarrassing defense had more impact on the play than anything Beal did.
But the Wizards couldn’t count on New York screwing up – well, maybe they could’ve. Regardless, the Wizards had a play drawn up in case the Knicks didn’t part like the Red Sea to allow Beal an easy lane for a layup.
Watch Beal’s game-winner again:
Marcin Gortat is coming over to screen for Beal, a good move for the Wizards when the need a basket. Gortat screening for Beal a great part of any play, and Beal is happy to share credit.
“I give a lot of credit to March. He screens his butt off,” Beal said of Gortat, who is 6-11 and 240 pounds. “He makes life easier for you. He gets you open when you need to.”
“When he tells you to shoot the ball, you better shoot the ball,” Beal said. “You have to love a big like that that’s willing to get guys open, willing to do all the little things for the team to help us win.”
The numbers completely support Beal’s perception. He shoots much better when Gortat is on the court.When Beal and Gortat share the court, the Wizards offensive rating is 108.1 – a mark that would rank third in the NBA, behind just the Trail Blazers and Heat, over the full season.
Safe to say, the Wizards will keep using those two in tandem.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 0
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 3
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1