Dec 28, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
Details are beginning to emerge about the events that led up to Andrew Bynum being suspended indefinitely by the Cleveland Cavaliers. And while there doesn’t seem to be any one incident or blow-up that led to the club’s decision, the fact seems to be that Bynum was increasingly unhappy in his surroundings.
The team will of course try to trade Bynum and his flexible contract to get some type of return on its investment, but the reality is that everyone around the league knows the particulars of the deal — one which incentivizes Cleveland to make a decision in the next week or so regarding Bynum’s status.
Only $6 million of Bynum’s two year deal worth almost $25 million is guaranteed, and the rest doesn’t become guaranteed unless he’s on the roster past Jan. 5. Because this date is rapidly approaching, and because Bynum is believed to be incorrigible where the Cavaliers are concerned, the latest report says that Bynum’s playing days in Cleveland are a thing of the past.
• Bynum most likely has played his final game for the Cavs, though it is possible he will be on the roster for months and get paid. The Cavs can’t suspend him without pay for the rest of the season for conduct detrimental to the team.
• Bynum has been sulking recently because his playing time and touches have dwindled even as he’s at times showed he can still be a significant contributor. During the Cavs’ double-overtime loss Thursday to the Atlanta Hawks, Bynum was benched in the third quarter and never returned. He spent the rest of the night at the end of the bench and appeared to be sulking.
• On Friday, Bynum met with coach Mike Brown, sources said. It isn’t clear what happened in that meeting, but it’s possible he was told the Cavs might go a different direction with the big man’s minutes. Afterward, the Cavs decided to suspend Bynum and not take him on their team flight to Boston on Friday afternoon. By Saturday, the team had him on the trade block.
The part about him potentially being on the roster for months and getting paid doesn’t seem right at all, since the Cavaliers can simply waive Bynum sometime during the next week and cut their losses.
It would take a sincere reconciliation before then and then another incident to cause that to happen, a scenario which seems far from likely at this stage of the proceedings.
The only question where Bynum is concerned now becomes whether another team will take a chance on him. He’s shown the ability to still be able to play, but whether the desire is there to deal with any type of adversity at this point in his career remains to be seen, and the true contenders of the league — Miami, Indiana, and San Antonio — are unlikely to bother with such a risk.
The second-tier teams, however, may take a much longer look at the pros and cons of giving Bynum one final shot.
Jul 31, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
USA roster has more than enough talent, so it can afford to sacrifice some to get positive attitudes in place.
If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible.
Jul 31, 2014, 6:51 PM EDT
Don’t bet on it happening. But it’s not impossible.
Jul 31, 2014, 5:59 PM EDT
It’s the memory of a lifetime… even if you get embarrassed.
Jul 31, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
Mark Madsen and Paul Pressey also reportedly candidates for Byron Scott’s staff
Jul 31, 2014, 4:31 PM EDT
Watch this and remember why you love basketball.
Jul 31, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
Wall raising expectations after Wizards met last season’s playoff goal
Jul 31, 2014, 3:05 PM EDT
Jul 31, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT
Does China really know what it’s getting here?
Jul 31, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
As tight as he is with Kidd, do you really think Payton would choose Milwaukee over Los Angeles?
Jul 31, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT
Milwaukee, with Damien Inglis in limbo, now facing roster crunch
Jul 31, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
Like most “feuds,” once two rational people sit down and talk for a minute, everything dissipates.
Jul 31, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
That means he’s signing with the Wizards, right?
Jul 31, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
Barring another move, Toronto down to one roster spot for Lucas Nogueira or DeAndre Daniels
Jul 31, 2014, 10:41 AM EDT
“We think he’s one of the top players in the league and we need for him to be that five that nobody has.” —Mike Krzyzewski on Anthony Davis
Jul 31, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Palmer to marry celebrity hair stylist Tanya Stine
Jul 31, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT
Former Oregon State standout impresses with shot-blocking ability
Jul 31, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
Jeremy Lin in a full-blown dance number. You know you want to see that.
Jul 31, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Hawks forward, now trying out for Team USA World Cup team, has come a long way
Jul 31, 2014, 12:04 AM EDT
A LeBron James-Kevin Love combo seems increasingly inevitable
Jul 30, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
“His unique skill set makes him one of the best players in the game today.” —Pat Riley on Chris Bosh, who still is overpaid.
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 42
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 88
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 57
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59