Dec 28, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Jason Kidd is reportedly in danger of losing his job in the middle of his first season as an NBA head coach.
The Nets have had to deal with more than their fair share of injuries to be sure, including the one to Brook Lopez that is expected to sideline him the rest of the season. But between parting ways with his most experienced assistant in Lawrence Frank and trying to change things on the fly with virtually no practice time, the plan, if indeed there is one, doesn’t seem to be working at this time.
Kidd wouldn’t address the latest report following his team’s easy win over the Bucks on Friday, and essentially called it a complete fabrication.
“I just coach and get my guys ready,” Kidd shrugged, flashing a smile at the podium following the team’s 104-93 victory over the Milwaukee Bucks. “I can’t answer to what you guys make up. I’m sorry. I don’t have an answer to that question.”
Players have said the team lacks an identity, and that’s what happens when a rookie head coach working under the pressure of high expectations and a payroll in the neighborhood of $180 million is desperate to achieve results.
It may be true that due to the constant injuries and overall circumstances surrounding this Nets team that Kidd hasn’t gotten the fairest of chances to succeed as a head coach. But if the losing persists over time and the players continue to question the team’s direction, then fair or not, Kidd will be replaced before the season is finished.
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 10
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 8
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 5
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 38
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 6
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 15
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3