Dec 28, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Jason Kidd is reportedly in danger of losing his job in the middle of his first season as an NBA head coach.
The Nets have had to deal with more than their fair share of injuries to be sure, including the one to Brook Lopez that is expected to sideline him the rest of the season. But between parting ways with his most experienced assistant in Lawrence Frank and trying to change things on the fly with virtually no practice time, the plan, if indeed there is one, doesn’t seem to be working at this time.
Kidd wouldn’t address the latest report following his team’s easy win over the Bucks on Friday, and essentially called it a complete fabrication.
“I just coach and get my guys ready,” Kidd shrugged, flashing a smile at the podium following the team’s 104-93 victory over the Milwaukee Bucks. “I can’t answer to what you guys make up. I’m sorry. I don’t have an answer to that question.”
Players have said the team lacks an identity, and that’s what happens when a rookie head coach working under the pressure of high expectations and a payroll in the neighborhood of $180 million is desperate to achieve results.
It may be true that due to the constant injuries and overall circumstances surrounding this Nets team that Kidd hasn’t gotten the fairest of chances to succeed as a head coach. But if the losing persists over time and the players continue to question the team’s direction, then fair or not, Kidd will be replaced before the season is finished.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 46
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18