Dec 28, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
The Magic are in a rebuilding mode, and as their 9-20 record will tell you, that means that wins have been hard to come by this season.
But a bright spot has been the play of Arron Afflalo, who has been consistently putting up big numbers — he’s posted his career high of 43 points this season, and has scored 30 points or more on four separate occasions.
Afflalo hopes his play might be good enough to get him noticed by the coaches in the Eastern Conference, who vote on the reserves for the All-Star team.
Quietly, Afflalo is hoping that his play on the court will be enough to get him selected as a reserve for the Feb. 16 All-Star Game in New Orleans. To do so, Afflalo will need to earn a selection from the Eastern Conference coaches because he does not even rank in the top 15 of fan votes even though he’s in the midst of a career year. …
“For one, it’s obvious I’m not one to push for fan votes,’’ Afflalo said. “For me, it’s about team play, winning and it’s about the growth of my game and if I can get the respect of the coaches from that angle, it’s something that I would definitely appreciate.
“I’m not trying to outvote D-Wade and these guys who are constantly in the limelight,’’ Afflalo said. “I’m more of a basketball purist, I love the game and hopefully that will get appreciated from a different angle.’’
The Pacers are going to have Paul George and Roy Hibbert on the squad, and if coaches want to place a third player from one of the league’s top teams in the midseason exhibition, Lance Stephenson would be a candidate. John Wall of the Wizards could get in, as could Deron Williams of the Nets.
Beyond that, there aren’t any names of guards who immediately jump to the top of the All-Star list in the East — especially with only three of the conference’s teams having a better-than-.500 record. If Afflalo continues on his path of consistency, he’ll earn his first career All-Star appearance.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 33
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 8
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23