Arron Afflalo says he’d appreciate All-Star consideration from Eastern Conference coaches

Dec 28, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT

Arron Afflalo AP

The Magic are in a rebuilding mode, and as their 9-20 record will tell you, that means that wins have been hard to come by this season.

But a bright spot has been the play of Arron Afflalo, who has been consistently putting up big numbers — he’s posted his career high of 43 points this season, and has scored 30 points or more on four separate occasions.

Afflalo hopes his play might be good enough to get him noticed by the coaches in the Eastern Conference, who vote on the reserves for the All-Star team.

From John Denton of the Magic’s website:

Quietly, Afflalo is hoping that his play on the court will be enough to get him selected as a reserve for the Feb. 16 All-Star Game in New Orleans. To do so, Afflalo will need to earn a selection from the Eastern Conference coaches because he does not even rank in the top 15 of fan votes even though he’s in the midst of a career year. …

“For one, it’s obvious I’m not one to push for fan votes,’’ Afflalo said. “For me, it’s about team play, winning and it’s about the growth of my game and if I can get the respect of the coaches from that angle, it’s something that I would definitely appreciate.

“I’m not trying to outvote D-Wade and these guys who are constantly in the limelight,’’ Afflalo said. “I’m more of a basketball purist, I love the game and hopefully that will get appreciated from a different angle.’’

With all of the injuries in the East, and with the two most notable backcourt players in Dwyane Wade and Kyrie Irving being voted in as starters by the fans, it would appear that Afflalo has a shot.

The Pacers are going to have Paul George and Roy Hibbert on the squad, and if coaches want to place a third player from one of the league’s top teams in the midseason exhibition, Lance Stephenson would be a candidate. John Wall of the Wizards could get in, as could Deron Williams of the Nets.

Beyond that, there aren’t any names of guards who immediately jump to the top of the All-Star list in the East — especially with only three of the conference’s teams having a better-than-.500 record. If Afflalo continues on his path of consistency, he’ll earn his first career All-Star appearance.

1. basketballhooper1 - Dec 28, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I definitely think that he should at least be considered, he’s been playing crazy good, better than D-Will and I’d say Lance Stephenson…

• pbtunpaidwriter - Dec 28, 2013 at 6:58 PM

His consistency is amazing. I did not think he could ever become a steady 20-pt a night scorer every night especially after 6 seasons. Dude’s a 2 way player too. Gotta love that.

• denverhoopdreams - Dec 28, 2013 at 7:56 PM

There were a few of us here in Denver baffled by the trade because we thought he could be a 25ppg player.

We were close enough, I guess.

2. jadaruler - Dec 28, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Sure, the East is brutal. Irving, Wade, George, Anthony, and James start. Wall, Walker, Teague, Affalo, Josh Smith, Green, Bosh, Hibbert round out the bench

• whoisrdymlz - Dec 28, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Drop Smith and Teague. Add Jefferson and Stephenson . Wade starting is a joke.

• jpstyles314 - Dec 29, 2013 at 2:39 AM

Who would you pick to start over Wade?

• irvfin3 - Dec 28, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Josh Smith?! He’s been terrible! Kemba Walker?! You forgot about Noah and Stephenson? Idiot

• muhangis - Dec 29, 2013 at 7:06 AM

Why the hell is Jeff Green on the team? Dudes done nothing this season.

3. bealwithit - Dec 28, 2013 at 4:48 PM

If Victor Oladipo were putting up those stats then the coaches would vote him in. Because Afflalo is a veteran and not a young player, team success will hurt him.

If you are on a non playoff team, the coaches will only vote you in if you are a young player performing well on a bad team. This is because young guys don’t get to choose which team they play for.

Fair or not, this is Arron Afflalo’s 7th year in the league. As many coaches and Charles Barkley would say, it looks like a veteran feasting on a bad team. I like his game, but I don’t think the coaches vote him in.

• 00maltliquor - Dec 28, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Interesting. And you may be right.

It’s not fair, it would be a crime if he doesn’t make it.

4. 00maltliquor - Dec 28, 2013 at 5:46 PM

I see you Aaron. I’ve been voting for you. I think he’s been a top 4 G in the East this whole year. Not a Magic fan and I know he’s not a fancy name, but when I see someone putting in work all year I recognize. I miss nothing.

5. csbanter - Dec 28, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Lobbying for an all-star spot is never a good sign. Sure Affalo is having a career season, but look at the Magic record. He’s a poor mans Andre Igoudoula

• raidmagic - Dec 28, 2013 at 8:36 PM

AI

ppg rb ast stl bk fg ft 3pt mins
      10.9 3.9 4.9 1.6 .03 0.531 0.578 0.476 33.9

AA

22.0 4.5 3.9 0.7 0.0 0.481 0.852 0.444 37.7

Given this comparison I’d say your statement could not me more wrong. Remember the all star game is about THIS year, not past accolades

• denverhoopdreams - Dec 28, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Dude, Thank you for posting the stats. When I saw him compare Triple A to AI my brain exploded.

AAA is by far a more well rounded player than AI is this season, and I don’t think AI will ever catch up, not with him being the 4th option on the Warriors, and getting jacked on playing time often.

Yeah, sure, some bitterness about that benedict, but he’s garbage.

6. antistratfordian - Dec 28, 2013 at 9:35 PM