Dec 27, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
The Knicks are a lousy defensive team, but they’re especially bad at defending the pick-and-roll.
New York ranks 29th in points allowed per play finished by a pick-and-roll ball-hander and 30th in points allowed per play finished by a pick-and-roll screener, according MySynergySports.
Wisely, because this isn’t working, Knicks coach Knicks coach Mike Woodson wants to change how his team defends pick-and-rolls.
Woodson, via Ian Begley of ESPN:
“I don’t want to switch,” Woodson said after Thursday’s practice. “I’ve always wanted to put the emphasis on our perimeter guys to guard perimeter players. Bigs are supposed to guard bigs and when there’s some breakdowns there is supposed to be help. It’s a team defense.
Switching on pick-and-rolls works well – if you have the players to make the scheme work. It requires guards with size and bigs with mobility. New York actually has a few players who can do it, at least somewhat: Iman Shumpert, Tim Hardaway Jr., Metta World Peace and Tyson Chandler.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $50,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,500. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
But switching requires both defenders being capable of executing. The Knicks don’t have enough players who can to do it often.
Really, the Knicks don’t have enough players who defend well in any scheme. I’m not sure how Woodson plans to tackle that one.
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 10
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 9
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 48
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 46